bypass valve?

croglesby

HI there. I had some very nice people stop and help me last time so here goes. I have a 89 5 sp. new engine. Not getting boost. I found that the boost bypass valve is not letting it build up and i replaced it. No change. Now I might have put on a used one that is not good as well. but I read this in the thread " In fact 89 has a computer controlled boost actuator. " So I may have a bad part again or could the computer be pulling to much vac on the valve keeping the boost from building up? If i tie it up or unhook it I get full boost.in secound gear I might get 3 pounds at wot as is. HELP PLEASE :eek:

Either you have another bad valve or you have a problem with the vaccum line going to it. You can take the vaccum line off the bypass valve and stick your finger over the nipple of the valve. If you can move the bypass plates back and forth without feeling good suction against your finger, then the valve is bad. Otherwise you need to check the vaccum line going to it making sure it is hooked up from the other end to the right place, and is not cracked.

Last edited:
Back