My explorer eats transmissions

Black89XR7

My explorer eats transmissions like M&M's. Tonight I killed another transmission. I was getting ready to leave school and it would not shift into reverse, so I had to push it out of the parking spot. After that I went on my way, it was kind of hard to shift. Well I was leaving my friends house and went through an intersection in first then shifted into second and wham! second no longer existed. So I drove it back to my friends house(about a mile) and parked it. Just sitting there it sounds like marbles rolling around inside of it and something ticking. So I cant wait to open it up and see what the carnage is like.

Transmission Kill List:

1. Factory a4ld 0-135k miles
2. A4ld (friend did not seat torque converter all the way) 135k-135k(front pump died once shifted into gear)
3. Mazda M5OD 5 speed Lasted about a week before shift rail broke
4. Mitsubishi FM146 5 speed - Lasted from about 140k-146k miles

I think for my next transmission im going to rebuild the M5OD with supercoupe guts if they will work(I will have to tear them apart and compare).

explorer2015fb7.jpg

Last edited:
NOT being smart or nothing,please dont take this the wrong way,but mabey you need to let a trans shop rebuild your trans.

91 Explorer

We had a 91

Right after we bought it we where coming back to Suburban Ford for the oil change two blocks from the dealership it blew the trans. It had high gear it was pushing oil out we left a nice trail of oil past the entery right to the garage. They are junk always had problems with it

well if your killing them that fast....learn to drive....

All the transmissions have been used. The second A4LD kill was most likely my friend's fault for not seating the TC properly(I wasn't at his house to help). It didn't drive at all. It was bought used anyways. The two manual transmissions were each purchased for $100 in unknown working condition. My brother broke the shift rail in the first one when it wouldn't go into gear. This is my first actual tranny kill, but the explorer has had all of those trannies in it. If I rebuld the M5OD and the transmission goes out I am going to say screw it, and swap a 4BT cummins into it.

We had a 91

Right after we bought it we where coming back to Suburban Ford for the oil change two blocks from the dealership it blew the trans. It had high gear it was pushing oil out we left a nice trail of oil past the entery right to the garage. They are junk always had problems with it

Speak for yourself, I've had '93, '99, and '05 explorers, and all of then ran the balls.

Back