sts remote turbo

superdadsc

What is anyone's opinion on this system. I have spent a lot if research on it and like what I see. I would be looking at running 12lbs boost. Is turbo boost different than supercharged boost? Stupid question? STS talks about 9lbs only but our engines can handle a lot more can't they. Not really concerned with lag or location and I really like the idea of low act's and parasitic loss of the sc. I guess my biggesr concern would be with tuning. /sts suggests a sct chip and dyno tune but because our engines are supercharged and have crank and cam sensors etc would the computer be able to adapt? Any thoughts?

the web search for the system is sts turbo!

My engine will have all forged parts, dic, ported heads, larger valves, stronger springs, cam, just a real solid setup that we have all have read about or own.

Keep the blower and use the sts kit aka compound boosting.Check out last months MM&FF and look at the hellion cobra they made over 1000rwhp on a stock engined 03/04 cobra using the same concept.

Jay

sts turbo

STS said that was a possibility but the guy I talked to said that for a daily driver it would be finiky. They suggested replacing the supercharger with a stock 3.8 intake and plumming it that way. I might have to call again and talk to someone else. Looks like it could be a little more complicated with the supercharger on, but if it could work that would be cool and also save one the price of a stage 111 upper and lower intake along with other associated parts. I quess tuning is ?not a big problem. help:confused:

Routing the pipe back to the engine would be the biggest problem I would see regardless if you just ran twins or compounded it.

Puttem in the trunk!

1353.jpg

http://www.turbosmart.com.au/index.php?id=169

Puttem in the trunk!

But then the ice cream would melt before you got home from the store. :eek:

In all seriousness, the president over at tccoa (screenname: Sir William) stuck a STS setup on his 4.6L Tbird. He hasn't posted too much about it, but he seems to be pleased with it. The stock EEC shouldn't have a problem supporting a setup like that, and I really can't see tuning it as being all that difficult.

-Rod

maf

Thanks for your replys. The sts system relocates the maf to the rear by the turbo, if I considered coumpound boosting would I need 2 maf's, one for the supercharger and one for the turbo and if so would they need to work in conjunction with eachother. Could this be an obstacle in this setup. A ported 95 blower, to help with it's efficency, stock pullies and 5lbs of boost from the turbo would be sweet. Any thoughts.:D

Thanks for your replys. The sts system relocates the maf to the rear by the turbo, if I considered coumpound boosting would I need 2 maf's, one for the supercharger and one for the turbo and if so would they need to work in conjunction with eachother. Could this be an obstacle in this setup. A ported 95 blower, to help with it's efficency, stock pullies and 5lbs of boost from the turbo would be sweet. Any thoughts.:D

You wouldn't need two MAFs...just leave it in the stock position and switch it to a blow thru style that's calibrated for whatever size injectors you plan to run (I suggest 60# injectors). This is the company that makes them. Feeding the stock blower with 5-7 psi will make a huge differince in how much air it moves.

http://www.massairsystems.com/

David

I've been tossing around the idea of a remote mount turbo, or a turbo period, for some time now... i'm almost dead set on it, and the way i plan on piping it is keeping my existing stock intercooler, and putting the turbo outlet pipe into the top of the stock intercooler, thus into the LIM. the inlet pipe would be mounted to a custom intake plenum adapter, keeping the stock intake (minus a MAF, using a MAP instead)

and it will be tuned using a megasquirt standalone EMS, not the stock EEC, of course, i'm sure it can be done with a stock, retuned eec or a chip, and a maf based setup.

exhaust

Should have posted this sooner but I have been spending time with my mother who is dying and my brain is all over the place. STS said that I should keep the exhaust stock, having to do with the velocity of the exhaust. I have looked at a lot of cars with this system and the ones with larger boost settings have modified their exhaust system. Also do to the compound setup does it reguire a larger turbo. The sales people don't have much knowledge of these cars. They said I would need 39lb injectors like the mustangs and I mentioned to him that the guys running high horsepower sc engines with a lot of boost were running 60s. His come back was that people have to big of an injector like they are they are not knowledgeable of the engines needs. So I dp not have a lot of faith in their reps. Thanks Dave for the info. If all goes well I will meet everyone this summer and it will give me a good excuse to beat on my sc. Can't wait.

Yeah I did cmill95. Thats when I knew I would need to source more help. The company has been very helpful and they have refered me to a guy over in tampa. STS national rep is a guy named wild bill, a big name in the 5.0 world. He called me back and refered me to another guy in orlando if the one in tampa doen't work. Nice company,nice people.

Should have posted this sooner but I have been spending time with my mother who is dying and my brain is all over the place. STS said that I should keep the exhaust stock, having to do with the velocity of the exhaust. I have looked at a lot of cars with this system and the ones with larger boost settings have modified their exhaust system. Also do to the compound setup does it reguire a larger turbo. The sales people don't have much knowledge of these cars. They said I would need 39lb injectors like the mustangs and I mentioned to him that the guys running high horsepower sc engines with a lot of boost were running 60s. His come back was that people have to big of an injector like they are they are not knowledgeable of the engines needs. So I dp not have a lot of faith in their reps. Thanks Dave for the info. If all goes well I will meet everyone this summer and it will give me a good excuse to beat on my sc. Can't wait.

First of all if you want the real technical information this is the only place to get the info about an SC period, no joke. Others might think they know what they are doing but here some people know what they are doing.
The reason that our engines require a bigger injector is that to make 300 Rear wheel HP we need more HP at the flywheel since the supercharger uses up some of it to spin itself. It is also a roots blower and there is no internal compression like a turbo does. So 10PSI from a Roots and 10Psi from a turbo is not the same. Thats why 60lbs injectors is required.
Boost compunding is a great thing and noone here has tried it yet. But the basics is there and we know it works.
You are moving 4000lbs let me repeat myself 4000lbs this is not a 3300lbs mustang that has a V8 in it. So the supercharger is a great idea to keep if turboing the car. What happens is that the SC does not need to spool up like a turbo does so you will not loose bottom end torque to move the let me say this again 4000lbs. what that does is give you instant response. Even at 10psi.
Now lets add the turbo :D. you picked a turbo designed to pump out 10psi at 6000rpms, you feed the 10psi to the stock TB and when opened it will compound the boost 10+10 will net you 20psi with 10psi being turbo boost that will be denser then the s/c boost.

Now you just created a machine that does not need the turbo to spool up to take off and move 4000lbs, and you have the turbo kicking in at higher RPMS where the car can keep on trucking with 20PSI from both systems.

STS just wants to sell you the product so take what they say lightly.

Thanks Ricardo, you stated that I would do this through the stock tb. Did you mean as in stock location but through one that would support 60lb injectors,or would the actual stock tb work. Also what is your opinion on upgrading the exhaust. Does opening up the exhaust slow down the velocity of the gases?

A bigger exhaust will help all around, But you dont have to go oversize.
For a remote mount a smaller diameter will increase velocity to spool the far away turbo. But will create backpressure on the engine and that will hurt you more. If keeping the supercharger then spooling the turbo is not really an issue since the car will be hauling ~~~ with the S/C.

All you need a is a long charge pipe that will enter the engine compartment and attach to a Blow thu style MAF. Then a solid intake pipe that will finish the the connection between the maf and the TB. Thats why its so simple this way. You will need a bypass valve that will vent the charged air when shifting and letting off the throttle.
THe 60 Lbs injectors will be a safe way of not running out of injector if you need it. In theory you dont need that big of an injector since half the power is being produced by the turbo and not the SC. And there is not parasitic loss of HP like the S/C takes from the engine.

See some discussion in this thread: I've linked to some discussions on other sites regarding having a turbo with a supercharger.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84587&highlight=twin+charging

Where people like STS get confused is they don't think of superchargers like ours when you talk supercharger. Ours is a positive displacement pump, thus having a turbo in front of it has almost zero issue and mostly benefit.

I would just bolt the kit up and give it a shot. I would try it like this:

outside air --> MAF --> Throttle body --> Turbo --> SC.

As far as exhaust, you want to maintain exhaust velocity to the turbo to optimize the use. I don't know how easy it would be to guess at optimum exhaust setup. Best bet would be to try different pipe diameters to see what works best.

Note that the turbo sizing will be significantly different if you run a roots blower after the turbo. It will change the efficiency map that you want to use. This will screw with the minds of those STS boys.

Last edited:
See some discussion in this thread: I've linked to some discussions on other sites regarding having a turbo with a supercharger.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84587&highlight=twin+charging

Where people like STS get confused is they don't think of superchargers like ours when you talk supercharger. Ours is a positive displacement pump, thus having a turbo in front of it has almost zero issue and mostly benefit.

I would just bolt the kit up and give it a shot. I would try it like this:

outside air --> MAF --> Throttle body --> Turbo --> SC.

I am not sure that configuration will work. More like Airfilter >Turbo>charge pipe to Engine>Blow tru Maf> solid intake pipe to TB. But thats just me. BLowout valve before the MAF

Last edited:
I am not sure that configuration will work. More like Airfilter >Turbo>charge pipe to Engine>Blow tru Maf> solid intake pipe to TB. But thats just me.

I think that would work as well, you would just need to deal with the throttle plates closing. I haven't thought about this for a few months, but I believe in my plan I'm looking at utilizing a bypass valve to allow the turbo to idle similar to how the SC setup works.

I would use a 70mm TB because it doesn't need to be very big when air is being blown thru it, install the rear mount turbo and wastegate same as STS normally would except using their larger model single intended for use on a v8. Set wastegate to 7 psi, locate the blow off valve (BOV) on the air pipe from the compressor side of the turbo, about 2 feet before making the connection to the mass air meter in it's normal location. Exhausting the compressed air coming from from the turbo when the throttle is closed will be done with a BOV located prior the MAF. That way it only reads what air your sending to the motor.

There is no need to complicate things by running a dual intake circut to phase out the supercharger and phase in the turbo. Just pump a steady supply of air into the supercharger. The wastegate settings will automatically maintain 7 pounds of boost at the supercharger inlet, so long as the motor is under sufficent load. The supercharger doesn't work any harder to do that, than it did without the turbo supplying positive inlet pressure. So if you had 14 pounds of boost you should have around 21 pounds of boost without spinning the blower any harder. Existing bypass valve and the added BOV will take care of venting unwanted pressure.

Pretty much exactly like Ricardo said.

David

PS: I would reccomend using a large FMIC like the MP kit.

Last edited:
Back