trans issues.... rebuilt less then 1k ago...(AOD)

92sclikenew

ok to start out i got my stock trans rebuilt.. with a shift kit... got around 800miles on it

now the car had a nice hard shift 1-2 would spin tires and 2-3 would spin

now the trans seems to work fine when its cold nice strong shifts.

but once it warms up some it will slip 1st is like having a 2k stall tq converter
2nd just slips pretty much any more then 1/2 throttle.. 3rd is nice clean hard shift but with a thump... and it will go into od with the shifter in just drive.. and i think it was goin into 3rd/drive with the shifter in 1st spot on the shifter... well i do have a warntey just wanted to see what you guys thought calling the trans shop this monday....

also seem to notice that it has a drag feeling to it... didnt have it b4..

this is also my 92 sc with the aod in it

This is the $650 special? :p Sorry dude.

i know this guy he cut me a deal.. its the $600 hook me up know ya.. its got good parts in it.. i just dont know the stuff it has..ether way 650 or not it shouldnt break in like 700miles went form rock hard to a spung in 500miles

but no matter what its got a year warntey so if it keeps breaking he is gonna fix it till its right..

anyone else got any input.. i know i got a good deal but i bet this would cost like 1000-1200 if i didnt know the guy.. the guy that owns the shop built it for me.. sounds like he dont know what he is doing...

he is also the one that rebuilt the trans once b4.. but i guess that time the pump failed.. and cuz it was after warntey they wouldnt fix it.. also ontop of this not sure what band it was.. (think its the od one) but the one he was useing ever time he put it togethere it would lock up.. put the other one back and it was fine so he had to order another one..

also for him to give me a year warntey he must of thought it would hold up..... right?

Last edited:
Sounds like a pump problem to me.
Alan
Hmmm... I was going to say valve body/line debris. I had no end of problems with it.. 4 rebuilds and 1 inline filter later.. I finally got it. 3000+ miles now and no problems; in fact my amatuer rebuild shifts better than the original did.

Sounds like a pump problem to me.
Alan

i also think it might be pump related because soon as the trans seen 2k rpms the clutchs locked and off it would take it was like a 2k stall converter... and the car acted pretty much the same as when it went out last time..

oh yea fluid was pouring out the tq conveter spot.. and it looked burnt up... so i know its bad inside..

also yesterday it just blow out and now is will only drive.. its like stuck in drive when the shifter is in R sounds like drive and revers are fighting... and when in N it will only drive..... and in drive it wont shift for crap.. and when in 1st spot it is like nothing, but when its put in D it and it will drive and shift great...(go figure)not that it would be find....

owell he thinks its as easy as a tc... i dont think so.. cuz the trans made a bad bang and then it slamed into drive...

QUOTE=TbirdSCFan;715015]Hmmm... I was going to say valve body/line debris. I had no end of problems with it.. 4 rebuilds and 1 inline filter later.. I finally got it. 3000+ miles now and no problems; in fact my amatuer rebuild shifts better than the original did.[/QUOTE]

cleaned the lines out with air...

ontop of this he said its a bench job since i pulled it... so he wont tow it out there or anything..... so im out pulling it again.. in this cold weather... with kindney stones... yay!!! fun... NOT REALLY....

Last edited:
i also think it might be pump related because soon as the trans seen 2k rpms the clutchs locked and off it would take it was like a 2k stall converter... and the car acted pretty much the same as when it went out last time..

oh yea fluid was pouring out the tq conveter spot.. and it looked burnt up... so i know its bad inside..

also yesterday it just blow out and now is will only drive.. its like stuck in drive when the shifter is in R sounds like drive and revers are fighting... and when in N it will only drive..... and in drive it wont shift for crap.. and when in 1st spot it is like nothing, but when its put in D it and it will drive and shift great...(go figure)not that it would be find....

owell he thinks its as easy as a tc... i dont think so.. cuz the trans made a bad bang and then it slamed into drive...

QUOTE=TbirdSCFan;715015]Hmmm... I was going to say valve body/line debris. I had no end of problems with it.. 4 rebuilds and 1 inline filter later.. I finally got it. 3000+ miles now and no problems; in fact my amatuer rebuild shifts better than the original did.

cleaned the lines out with air...

ontop of this he said its a bench job since i pulled it... so he wont tow it out there or anything..... so im out pulling it again.. in this cold weather... with kindney stones... yay!!! fun... NOT REALLY....

Not to make you feel any worse, but I'm betting you end up paying for the rebuild again. Since it was a bench job then he can say it was contamination from not flushing out your oil cooler, or that you didn't properly adjust the TV cable ect..ect..

I had a similar failure several years ago...turned out to be a torn oring that was letting pressure on the clutch packs bleed off. Went from barely slipping to barely being able to move the car in only 2 days.

David

Not to make you feel any worse, but I'm betting you end up paying for the rebuild again. Since it was a bench job then he can say it was contamination from not flushing out your oil cooler, or that you didn't properly adjust the TV cable ect..ect..

I had a similar failure several years ago...turned out to be a torn oring that was letting pressure on the clutch packs bleed off. Went from barely slipping to barely being able to move the car in only 2 days.

David

yup well this guy is known thru my family for 35 years of work.. my uncle has been workin on cars for 25years and using this guy for just as long.. thats why i got such a good deal on it... and he trust our word and knows we know what we are doing... so were see its goin to see him 2morrow.... got it out today.. in 2hours... is that a record??? lol this is like the 5th time pulling a trans in this car..

just to add the fluid was toast.... only drove it like 20miles with a bit of slip... wow dont take long...

Hate to rain on your parade bro because it sounds like it's been pouring on you for awhile. I had a similiar problem with my car a few years back. It stopped working ON THE DRIVEWAY. No driving at all just shifting gears. It also wouldn't do anything except move forward in drive. Turns out that the bands welded together and the whole unit was toast.

Hate to rain on your parade bro because it sounds like it's been pouring on you for awhile. I had a similiar problem with my car a few years back. It stopped working ON THE DRIVEWAY. No driving at all just shifting gears. It also wouldn't do anything except move forward in drive. Turns out that the bands welded together and the whole unit was toast.

couldnt be used..... well there way there is a warntey and the way i look at it is 800miles ether way if it is toast he should have to pay for it why is it my fault when i paided him... if he feels its not his fault i want my blown sc AOD and my $600 cuz he didnt say if it was toasted i wont fix that...

i see where you guys are coming from dont get me wrong... but this is coming from a guy that built it 40kago and say cuz it had a leaking prob.. that when i asked to have a shift kit installed.... he said lets make sure it aint gonna leak.. the way i look at it your the one building it...... :eek:right... so dont tell me... do your job right..... is what i say...

thanks for any info givin not tryin to hate on anyone giving advise.... ;)

and ontop of that he got it today he hasnt called yet.. but it smelled smoked.. so i know he had to smell it.. when it got it

Back