high idle and grinds into 2nd

henschman

i just bought my first sc last week, and it has a couple of issues --

first off, it idles at around 1500 rpm, and occasionally drops down to 1000. I have tried to find a vacuum leak to no avail... I even sprayed starting fluid around the engine vacuum lines and intake manifold area and got nothing. What else could cause this? maf? tps? iac? I know the little plastic electronics cover on both the tb and the maf are cracked... i don't know if that's a problem or not.

also, it's a manual, and it grinds into 2nd most of the time, especially if the rpms are up. I'm guessing it's a bad synchro, but i thought i'd ask you guys. It probably wouldn't be so bad if it didn't idle so high... if the rpms could drop down, it probably wouldn't grind. kind of sucks for driving fast though. how much to fix this do you think? i probably won't worry about it if it costs a lot... i got this car cheap and i don't want to put very much into it.

ur idle problem is probably either the tps or IAC. i'm leaning more towards IAC. u can grab one from advance auto for $60 and they'll give u a new gasket.

ur grind into 2nd is most likely a bad a synchro. not sure how much to fix it tho. i have a bad 5th synchro but i never really use 5th so im not worried about it right now. if u do get it fixed think about putting a good aftermarket clutch in there and resurfacing the flywheel.

Back