manual trans rear seal wrong pn..

kpatton

I have a seal national 710415 for my rear transmission seal.
no way it will fit. The hole is 1.26" and my yolk diamter is 1.5" I have looked on several sites and they all list this number as the correct on for the 89 5-speed. Has anyone run into this problem ?

Well I have never run into that prob, since my SC never had a prob with the tranny other than those damn shifter bushings failing not long after I bought it, overcame that no prob.
When I go to work tomorrow, I can look up the number for what is supposed to be in it, and maybe cross the number on the old seal? 1.26 to 1.5 is HUGE. Something sounds wrong, maybe a conversion.
Damn, again, where are my parts books from work!

Glenn

Seal P/N

My 89 parts manual lists the P/N as E9SZ 6701-A. Same P/N for all 3.8 engines, according to my book.

JD

My 89 parts manual lists the P/N as E9SZ 6701-A. Same P/N for all 3.8 engines, according to my book.

JD

Just going by my past knowledge, that part number sounds like a main seal for an engine. Yes for an 89+ Thunderbird, since E9SZ means this, E=80's, 9=ninth year of that decade, S=Thunderbird model, and Z means Ford vice Lincoln.
The part that troubles me is the 6701. That is a crank seal. Anything in the 6000 range on Ford part numbers relates to the engine. If it is a 7000 middle part number range it is the tranny.
Maybe you got the wrong seal?
Since you listed it as the same for all 3.8 engines, I am sure I am right, since he is looking for the seal for the trans, and I doubt the auto and stick are the same.

Well, I did some looking and went to several sites, they call out national 710415. I then found the dimensions for that number and it matches the seal I have in hand. Another site called out a timken number, and it crossed over to the sname national number. All Wrong..it is a flat seal, my tail shaft of the trans has one that has an extended cover and bigger. Napa online shows a picture and dimensions that should be the correct one. I'm just trying to make this a 1 trip ordeal. So from what I have found out, National AND Timken have the incorrect listing in their catalog.

thanks for looking
Keith

Well, I did some looking and went to several sites, they call out national 710415. I then found the dimensions for that number and it matches the seal I have in hand. Another site called out a timken number, and it crossed over to the sname national number. All Wrong..it is a flat seal, my tail shaft of the trans has one that has an extended cover and bigger. Napa online shows a picture and dimensions that should be the correct one. I'm just trying to make this a 1 trip ordeal. So from what I have found out, National AND Timken have the incorrect listing in their catalog.

thanks for looking
Keith

Damn Keith, sounds like you have a weird problem, I will check it out tomorrow when I go to work. I can figure out damn near any seal given enough time.
Laterz!

Just going by my past knowledge, that part number sounds like a main seal for an engine. Yes for an 89+ Thunderbird, since E9SZ means this, E=80's, 9=ninth year of that decade, S=Thunderbird model, and Z means Ford vice Lincoln.
The part that troubles me is the 6701. That is a crank seal. Anything in the 6000 range on Ford part numbers relates to the engine. If it is a 7000 middle part number range it is the tranny.
Maybe you got the wrong seal?
Since you listed it as the same for all 3.8 engines, I am sure I am right, since he is looking for the seal for the trans, and I doubt the auto and stick are the same.

My bad. I mis-read and thought we were talking about the rear main seal, since I replaced mine when I had the trans out of a previsous car. Should have read closer...

JD

Ford number for the rear seal on the M5R2 is E8TZ 7052 C. You might be able to cross-reference an aftermarket one from that.

cheers
Ed N.

Ford number for the rear seal on the M5R2 is E8TZ 7052 C. You might be able to cross-reference an aftermarket one from that.

cheers
Ed N.

That helped! Since every thing I looked at shows the 710415 seal. I got that Ford # to cross to a timken 7692S, which has the little boot on it.
OD of 2.378, shaft diameter of 1.500. Hope that helps!

Thanks all, my parts guy was able to cross from the Ford number. What ever it is he had in stock, and I'll pick up after work. I'll post the manufacturer and pn that works.

Maybe George can help us in this area, a place where we can post the anomalies. In this project, Wagner also has a mis-print. The clutch slave cylinder states all EXCEPT SC. Quite ironic since the SC was the only one with a clutch, then the parts guy doesn't necessarily know that.

Don't we love these rabbit holes we go down to repair these cars ?

thanks to all again,
Keith

OK, I have a National Seal and PN 7692s

That is the correct rear 5-speed transmission seal
Not what is listed.

George can we get this in the FAQ ?

thanks,
Keith

OK, I have a National Seal and PN 7692s

That is the correct rear 5-speed transmission seal
Not what is listed.

George can we get this in the FAQ ?

thanks,
Keith

Yeah that is so weird. Everything I looked at had that same seal listed for all the 5 spd Tbirds. Maybe I will contact Timken tomorrow if I am not super busy at work and inform them of the wrong info. You would think that after 19 years the mistake would have been caught by now! :rolleyes:
Later

Glenn

Back