Power steering problems

Mercutio

SCCoA Member
So what would cause the power steering pump to blow the filler neck off repeatedly? I went autocrossing this weekend, lost power assist completely going through a slalom and when I got back to the pits there was fluid everywhere and the filler neck was popped off. I tried putting more fluid in but unless the pump was essentially dry the result was the same.

Maybe you found and exceeded the limits of the stock reservoir. I would think the constant spinnin of the pump might create pressure and venting blowin the cap. Once that happends then oil will go everywere.
Maybe a cap with a hose clamp to keep it there and vent it with a tube.:confused:

Unless you have some mechanical issue with the system like an air leak.

Maximum motorsports makes a nice upgraded pump setup that can withstand long term high RPM abuse
http://www.livermoreperformance.com/mustang_steering.html

I had put one on my cougar. May need to mod it a bit for the SC but I'm sure you can get it to work.

Otherwise If you arent overheating/overdriving the pump you may want to flush the system and replace the checkvalve. A good cooler cant hurt

Hmm, that page says the MM kit won't work in conjunction with A/C. Was that the case on your Cougar? I'm not prepared to live without A/C, but I'll definitely take your other advice. I'll check the check valve first, since I have a hard time believing the system is overheating in 20 seconds.

They say not for use with AC because of positioning of the fittings. Anything can be made to fit. Now the SC has a different setup so it may or may not interfere.

Also if its a matter of the pump being OD's too much perhaps sunderdrive pulleys would help..Or finding a LARGER PS pulley..The modular trucks have 8 rib I believe and may have something LARGER

Last edited:
I dunno totally about this, but I would predict that the slalom causes the fluid to slosh back and forth exposing the pump intake. The pump then sucks in a small amount of air that gets pushed through the lines.. Air+Oil = Foam under pressure. I'll just wager that the foam continues to expand until it pushes out the fill tube, or worse yet, fractures the plastic lock tabs and blows the entire cap off.

If I'm correct, then something that allows the pressure to bleed off and capture the fluid/foam might fix it up. Something as simple as an external tank maybe? Maybe something similar to the coolant overflow bottle. Something about 2x the fluid capacity might work.

Something else that I think could help is to over fill the reservoir initially so that the pump won't cavitate as quickly.

I think I'll try something like it on my black car. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:
Will, I've seen this happen with these Ford pumps before, but only when the vehicle was driven/steered without a belt on the ps pump pulley. Heck, it even happened to me the other day in my F-150 (same style pump) when I lost the belt. I really can't say what caused this to happen in your case but I think it's related to strain and possibly air (as TbirdSCFan said) rather than extended high rpm.

-Rod

Well, I guess the first step is to just try bleeding the system. What's the best way to do that? Get the wheels in the air, fill the reservoir and just cycle the wheels back and forth repeatedly?

They say not for use with AC because of positioning of the fittings. Anything can be made to fit. Now the SC has a different setup so it may or may not interfere.

Also if its a matter of the pump being OD's too much perhaps underdrive pulleys would help..Or finding a larger PS pulley..The modular trucks have 8 rib I believe and may have something larger.

Fixed it for ya. :) If you want a driven pulley to spin slower, you need a larger pulley. If you want em all to spin slower you need a smaller drive pulley (crank)

Well, I guess the first step is to just try bleeding the system. What's the best way to do that? Get the wheels in the air, fill the reservoir and just cycle the wheels back and forth repeatedly?

You got it right, except you wanna leave the wheels on the ground, imo. The system seems to bleed a lil better under a load, from my experience. I usually start w/ a rapid wiggle of the wheel from the center, then slowly make the sweep bigger till you hit the locks. Again, just my opinion, as it has worked well for me this way, especially after replacing a pump/rack, etc.

Last edited:
I would buy new fluid, then put the car on jackstands and with a buddy, unclip the low pressure side as it runs across the framerail and let it pump out and you refill it with fresh stuff. Use a windshield washer jug with the top cut off to catch the fluid and look to see if is full of air or not. The fresh fluid for sure won't be.

Back