Freshly cut key doesn't work except...

90coug

Well it works in the ignition but not the doors. Has anyone had this problem? It looks as though the new key isn't long enough and can't fit all they way into the door cylinder, same shape and size just slightly shorter. Can someone reassure me that I don't have to go to Ford for such a simple style key?

Thanks,

P.S. I have the original (Ford Family of Fine Cars) key which is the one and only right now. New one says made in Taiwan :p

Last edited:
Take it back to where you had it cut and tell them it doesn't work. They should try again until they get it right.

Some of the key blanks for different cars, like mustangs, were a shorter blank. Sounds like you have the wrong one to me.

Some of the key blanks for different cars, like mustangs, were a shorter blank. Sounds like you have the wrong one to me.

I agree. They look almost identical, just shorter. Take that sucker back and get a key that works! :)

FORD keys are cut a little interesting.

They actually are cut for two different tumblers. One is the ignition cut, the other the door cut. The cuts near the tip of the key work the tumblers in the ignition switch. Say you buy a new ignition key tumbler set from Ford, it'll come with a key that has the ignition cut to it already. Then they can cut the door part of it to match your doors later.

The back half is the door cut. So if the key won't go in far enough on the doors it won't move the tumblers.

They used the wrong blank for your key. They need to try again.

FORD keys are cut a little interesting.

They actually are cut for two different tumblers. One is the ignition cut, the other the door cut. The cuts near the tip of the key work the tumblers in the ignition switch. Say you buy a new ignition key tumbler set from Ford, it'll come with a key that has the ignition cut to it already. Then they can cut the door part of it to match your doors later.

The back half is the door cut. So if the key won't go in far enough on the doors it won't move the tumblers.

They used the wrong blank for your key. They need to try again.

Oh man tell me about it. Cutting the new keys from a new ignition lock cylinder is a PITA! Usually the old key is so worn that it is almost impossible to decide the lands/flats for the tumblers from it, since it is all basically rounded off. Plus to throw a wrench in the works, its not split in half, they each have one overlay, meaning that if you have a 10 cut key, 4 on each side of the center were for either the door or the ignition, but the two center ones were flip flopped so from the head of the key, you had 4 door lands, one ignition, one door again, then 4 ignition. PAIN!
But that is kinda off topic, not the problem, I am sure they used the wrong key blank, copying keys is easy.

A side note, for newer Ford's anyway, if you have one of the PATS keys for your car/truck (I think they started the chipped keys around 98) ALWAYS have three of those computer chip keys somewhere. If you lose one, it is much easier to reprogram the third key after it gets cut, otherwise the shop has to program all the keys, and they like to stroke ya for it. If you only have two keys and you lose one... gotta plug into a puter, and I think it takes around an hour for the computer to see that the car isn't being stolen...

I would have never known there are slightly shorter blanks than the one I have. Question is do they have this style key but slightly longer. I will check it out, thanks a million fellas.

Back