Panel brake light comming on

trackjunkie

1995 SC, 116k, worn but not worn-out brakes.
Everytime I brake (which goes fine) the brake indicator light on the dash comes on as soon as I take my foot off the pedal. It stays on for a minute or so, then goes off till I brake again.
This is the same light that indicates that the parking brake is on. It still does that just fine.
We had some snow here, so I checked the ABS, and it seems to be working correctly.
Pads and rotors are at about 50%
Any ideas what this means?

I am not completely familiar with the braking system on the SC as of yet. That said, the typical cause of the brake light coming on is an indication your brake travel is excessive, and you need to change your pads soon. On a typical system it is triggered by a sensor on the fluid chamber getting low.

The answer isn't to put more fluid in, but to check or change your brake pads.

Except for the red light you say your brakes are fine, right? Then you need to top up your brake fluid. Find level ground operate your brakes 5-10 times to make sure the accumulator (black ball) is fully pressurized and fill reserrvoir to the arrows.

Never mind: I just noticed your car is a 95, and I was giving advise for the earlier models...

JD

Last edited:
What scoupe90 said is correct.

Topping off the fluid will shut the light off but chances are you will ruin your rotors when the pads are gone.

Back