quick question about trans lines also what kind of fluid to use

92sclikenew

would it cause issues if the lines were close to the exhaust????

and one more whats some good fluid to get... and were can i get it

Which tranny? When you say "close", how close? Fluid used for an AOD is Mercon III only! Maybe belongs in the Drivetrain forum?

as long as there are no kinks in the lines and they are not touching the exhaust it should not cause a problem.

I use Amsoil ATF in my trans.

Last edited:
What type of lines are we talking about here? Ideally, it would be best to keep them away from the exhaust if possible.

In my case, the exhaust gets close to the lines in one area. I'm running -8 AN lines, with heat wrap over the lines to provide some insulation from exhaust heat.

translines2.jpg

translines.jpg

As far as trans fluid goes, what are we working with here? Is this a new or freshly rebuilt transmission, are you just doing a fluid change, or do you just need fluid for "topping off" periodically?

-Rod

see his earlier posts about another failed AOD.

By the way Rod, what fittings did you use on the trans and cooler end for the braided lines, been wanting to change mine for a while now?

yes this is a aod..

what kind of fluid would you guys say is good to use.....

and yea my lines ran about 1inch from were the car is...thats to close for me.. they are line that i may'd when i put the first trans in this car so they are a little old.. and little kinked up so i think im gonna rerun them nice and to the side this time...

I use Royal Purple Synthetic ATF in my 94 SC 4R70W tranny. I also have a TRANSGO shift kit installed.

My tranny cooling lines are solid aluminum lines and are not close enough to any exhaust components to worry about.

I also installed a 10,000 lbs capacity auxiliary tranny cooler in front of the AC condenser and have a pillar mounted tranny temp indicator. In the winter the temp goes to about 140° to 145°F and in the summer it never goes above 160°F unless it is super hot outside and I'm hung up in traffic. Keeping tranny fluid temps low = long fluid and tranny life.

Ed

yes this is a aod..

what kind of fluid would you guys say is good to use.....

and yea my lines ran about 1inch from were the car is...thats to close for me.. they are line that i may'd when i put the first trans in this car so they are a little old.. and little kinked up so i think im gonna rerun them nice and to the side this time...

For your car, I'd just use the standard Mercon Dextron III stuff since you can get it anywhere. There are other options like John Deere Hydraguard hydraulic fluid, that will run a little cooler and shift a little crisper, but your tranny guy might not warrant the rebuild if you use it.

David

For your car, I'd just use the standard Mercon Dextron III stuff since you can get it anywhere. There are other options like John Deere Hydraguard hydraulic fluid, that will run a little cooler and shift a little crisper, but your tranny guy might not warrant the rebuild if you use it.

David

yea good point.. what brand would you suggest if any

see his earlier posts about another failed AOD.

By the way Rod, what fittings did you use on the trans and cooler end for the braided lines, been wanting to change mine for a while now?

At the cooler, I have a pair of 90 degree 1/2" NPT to -8 AN adapters with straight -8 AN hose ends.

As best as I can remember, I went with a straight 1/4" NPT to -8 AN adapter on the top port at the transmission, and either a 45 degree or 60 degree 1/4" NPT to -8 AN adapter on the lower port. Both hose ends are either 45 degree or 60 degree -8 AN hose ends. I remember going through a bunch of fittings before I came up with a setup that would fit in that tight space. It's been at least a couple years since I did that, so don't sue me if any of those fittings are incorrect. :)

-Rod

At the cooler, I have a pair of 90 degree 1/2" NPT to -8 AN adapters with straight -8 AN hose ends.

As best as I can remember, I went with a straight 1/4" NPT to -8 AN adapter on the top port at the transmission, and either a 45 degree or 60 degree 1/4" NPT to -8 AN adapter on the lower port. Both hose ends are either 45 degree or 60 degree -8 AN hose ends. I remember going through a bunch of fittings before I came up with a setup that would fit in that tight space. It's been at least a couple years since I did that, so don't sue me if any of those fittings are incorrect. :)

-Rod
I used 45° AN adapters on both ports of my AOD. I also made a pari of 1/4" straight pipe thread by 1/4" NPT adapters, since the ports in the case are technically 1/4" straight pipe thread. With that said, I think everybody else has successfully used 1/4" NPT (tapered pipe thread) fittings without any leaks.

I use Royal Purple Synthetic ATF in my 94 SC 4R70W tranny. I also have a TRANSGO shift kit installed.

My tranny cooling lines are solid aluminum lines and are not close enough to any exhaust components to worry about.

I also installed a 10,000 lbs capacity auxiliary tranny cooler in front of the AC condenser and have a pillar mounted tranny temp indicator. In the winter the temp goes to about 140° to 145°F and in the summer it never goes above 160°F unless it is super hot outside and I'm hung up in traffic. Keeping tranny fluid temps low = long fluid and tranny life.

Ed

Transgo shift kit ?? :eek:
And only a 10k cooler ? I thought my 18k cooler was tiny, I am putting 24-28k on most of the cars I do tranny work to. As long as your temps stay low, I dont see any problems using a 10k cooler.

- Dan

I also made a pari of 1/4" straight pipe thread by 1/4" NPT adapters, since the ports in the case are technically 1/4" straight pipe thread.

I didn't know that (didn't pay enough attention apparently). Either way, no leaks here. :)

-Rod

Back