Universal Aluminum Radiator

fastsc92

I figured it's time to get an aluminum radiator for my car. I have the room since the stock IC has been gone for some time now. I'm looking at jegs and summit for some universal styles. Does anyone have any input? I can easily get a 19x22 in there, and the inlet sizes seem alright. The only catch is that the tanks are on the sides, and not the top. Shouldn't be an issue, but I just figured I'd get some input on this.

The stock radiator is a down-flow radiator and next to square to allow room for the stock intercooler. Since you have a FMIC, you can run whatever radiator you would like. Converting to the cross-flow (what you described as the end-tanks being on the sides) radiator would be more suitable, since it increases the surface area and volume for cooling. This is assuming that the radiator you get will be larger than stock. The longer the radiator, the more duration of time there is for cooling.

BTW, where have you been, Jay? Are you getting back into the SC groove?

Ya, i figured this would work just fine. I know there is a group buy, but I can make a rad. for around $160.

As far as me not being around...well....we can get to that soon... I've been gone for over two years. I'll explain in a post hopefully not too long from now. The story will make some of you die-hard SC fans shed a tear.......:rolleyes:

Ya, i figured this would work just fine. I know there is a group buy, but I can make a rad. for around $160.

As far as me not being around...well....we can get to that soon... I've been gone for over two years. I'll explain in a post hopefully not too long from now. The story will make some of you die-hard SC fans shed a tear.......:rolleyes:

I put in the 19x22 (I think) aluminum Jegs rad with my fmic setup and noticed an extreme cooling difference. Plus it was cheap, but some fab work for mounting it is definately required. ;)

I am with Casey. If you are running an FMIC, get something a bit longer to increase cooling efficiency.

Mine is running hot so I wanted to upgrade to an aluminum unit, but I want to stay with a stock or double IC so I found a 19x22 unit locally brandy new for $100 about a month ago. Made byt Northern Radiator.

i cant get anything else in there really, since my pipes are coming through in the stock IC location. I can get a little larger, but 24" would be a squeeze.
ic8.jpg
ic5.jpg
IMG_0090.jpg

The stock IC measures 19" across so the 22" fits in there nice. Plus after doing the heat transfer calcs, two more inches really doesn't give a large increase. 22" makes it about even with the end of the IC. 24" would get really close to the pipes.

Last edited:
I have come across several smaller units in ebay and jegs, summit etc. sell them relatively cheap.

Is that a 3G alternator on there? If so, how many amps? Thermostat housing looks chromed. Or is it polished?

What equation did you use to calculate the difference. I can't think of one that would compensate for the difference in specific heat capacities of aluminum versus copper that translates into water temperature.

Theres q=c(m)(change in temperature). That's to find quantity of heat, though.

i was comparing the 22" aluminum vs the 24" aluminum.

I'm getting my masters in mechanical engineering so I derived some equations regarding the heat transfer. Turns out the equations I generated were very similar to the simplified questions from an undergrad heat transfer course when looking at heat exchangers.

All the parts on the engine are polished by hand....

Back