hood wont close

89tird

no matter how hard i slam it it wont close , it will latch and if i pull up on it the latch holds it , but it just wont close flush... what could have broken ?

ya i just tried adjusting it up and down but it has pins that go inside the rad frame and dont let it move up or down .. i moved it from side to side a lil bit but no luck

GEDC0137.jpg
[/IMG]
GEDC0146.jpg
[/IMG]
GEDC0138.jpg
[/IMG]
GEDC0140.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Are you certain that the problem is caused by the latch and not something else? You can unbolt the latch and let it hang down to make sure. If you were working on the car then you might have left some tools on top of the fenders or somewhere else. Also check the height of the two hood stops behind the headlights.

hood cable is fine ...

just looked around in the fenders didnt see no tools , but saw a bunch of old cut cables sitting on the fender inside the engine bay.. that could of been it :rolleyes: but since i loosened the latch and let it hang i problably messed up the adjusment.

what it does is when i try to close it.. i let it fall down and it latches but jumps back a lil bit .

make sure the latch is in the open position, pop the hood latch. might need someone to watch the latch while you pop it open.

Check the hood release handle inside the car, you may have to push it back in so that the hood will latch.

I have an 89 Cougar...

Doing the excact same thing...

I was only assuming on my End that I needed:

A can of that Super Hood Latch Closer Helper...

Or in other works.. soak it with WD-40

Actually, My car is parked in the garage for the winter.. and I don't like wd40 all to well... so I was going to get some other kind of lube for it..

Again, I only assumed this is what mine is going to need...

I think it happened to me one other time.. and wd40'd it... Hence why I don't like the stuff.. I have to lube it again..

WoW, I never check that on mine...

Won't I feel pretty stupid if that's all mine is.. hehehe

though mine does need a shot of lubricant

Back