4.2 swap questions

super_chicken

Firstly, yes I did search.

This kid I work with has a 4.2 that is supercharged that he had in a n/a tbird a little while ago. Now this ran fine in his car, and he had it tuned by a guy here that is at least notable. I was thinking about picking this up to put in my car so I can get it running again.

Is there anything perticular that I would need since my car is a super coupe? Computer different? I see something about using different harmonic balancers? I'm just worried about getting it and going oh there isn't this pickup for something, or hey this sensor should be there. I have a '93.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Last edited:
I was just coming back to add something, that was fast thanks.

Will it work on my computer or does it need any sensors switched? What about the exhaust manifolds? I don't know the shape of them since I haven't looked at it yet. I have a catback, and the cats are going to be gone when I do this too, so it will have a piece there. If something doesn't line up perfectly it can be worked around.

I'm just looking to see how much I need to change or shell out to get this to work. It would be nice to have my car see the light of day again.

Also, I do really appreciate your help, I just couldn't find this information.

Last edited:
Just consider using the 4.2 as a longblock. Everything else that is yours you can bolt on...Now you will need a tune to get it running tip top...DOes this motor have head and cam work??

I was planning on getting it tuned for changing that much, I was just hoping it my computer would at least be a good start. As far as I know no it doesn't. He mentioned he had a supercharger on it that he says is Roush. I know nothing of a roush offered supercharger for a 3.8, so I'll have to see it to know what he is talking about.

I haven't pulled my engine apart but I'm pretty positive at least the valves are messed up in the one cylinder thanks to a bosch plug (which I'm sad were in my car) falling apart and getting smashed into everything. So this is an option rather than fixing mine.

Last edited:
Back