Cheap / Real Cheap Exhaust advice

Dahoopd

Whats the best way to open the exhaust in a cheap way. I dont want to run it raspy, even on the LX I had with the mufflers cut off it sounded like crap.

I want to keep the stock exhaust for now but need a cheap way to open it up. Should I just replace the cats or replace the resonator with a cheap muffler. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want this thing done and to get it there I have to skimp real cheap on the exhaust or the things I have done will just be wasted.

cheapest I have done is to get a large single high flow cat. I removed both factory cats and resonator and it there place put the single cat. Wasnt loud..wasnt all that raspy..Cheap and even passed emmisions.

Now if that isnt an option or emmisions doesnt matter get a nice resonator an dput that in place of the factory setup upfront with no cats.

In all cases try to get 2.5 inch downtubes..If not 2.25 will due. Either merge both pipes into a single 3 inch cat tpering out to 2.5 inch(factory exhaust) or go duel 2.5 or 2.25 into a resonator with a single 3 inch outlet transitioning to 2.5 inch (factory exhaust).

In both cases I;m saying go 3 inch out to 2.5(stock) in case you wan tto upgrade later. This to me is the cheapest and best way out. The larger the cat the better for sound...same goes for the resonator lenght. I have a flowmaster resonator in my teal car and it sounds pretty good but I have cats also..Magnaflow will be loud..Borla and dynomax quieter

when i first got the bird I just got rid of the cats and stock resonator. put on a flowmaster resonator 2.5 on the pipes. it sounded pretty good

Damian,

I picked up a Magnaflow resonator on Ebay cheap ($60). The resonator is apparently the most restrictive part of the stock system followed by the cats. If you don't need them, ditch the cats altogether, get a good resonator and do as Damon suggested having 2.5 downtubes made up. Any exhaust shop can fab them up. I had a set made for $60.

I just checked. 2.5" downtubes will not work on a stock manifold. There is no cone left to form a seal.

Back