Sreamin' Demon Coil Pack........I'm Impressed!

edspringer

I was searching this forum on another subject and ran across a post about the Sreamin' Demon Coil Pack for the SC. The reviews were mixed from "worst POS I have bought" to "great coil". The good outweighted the bad so, I bought one. Well the first thing I noticed was the SC started quicker, then it had better throttle response and I lost shift lag, i.e when the SC shifted from 2 to 3 at the end of the shift, it would lag for a split second and then go. Well the lag is gone. I have not installed the Live Wire plug wires or re-gaped my iridium plugs to .060 to .065 as the instructions recommended. That is suppose to yield max benefit.

Anyone else with this coil pack noticing an increase in performance?

Ed

’94 SC Red Auto: 110,000 Miles, Headers, No Cats, Pro Torque 2500 Stall Converter, TRANSGO Shift Kit, 10,000 Lbs Auxiliary Tranny Cooler, Tranny Fluid Temp Gauge, 3.73 Gears, 70mm BK Throttle Body, 76mm C&L MAF with Gold Tube, A/F Ratio Gauge, Raised SC Top, Teflon IC Seals, ’90 XR7 SC Pulley, ARP Head-Rod-Main Studs, Scorpion 1.73 Rockers, Solid Motor Mounts, Iridium Plugs, Live Wire Plug Wires, Screamin’ Demon Coil, 36# Accel FIs, Custom Air intake, K&N 9” Cone, Royal Purple Synthetic Lubricants and Optima Yellow Top.

Damon is a big fan. He posted good results. I have thought about it, but haven't seen anything as far as hard core numbers posted to see if it was worth it.

I would not gap my plugs to .60 but keeping the factory gap would be a plus over closing up the gap to .35

I know in the past the iridium plugs alone had helped me keep a factory gap as oppossed to closing it in high boost applications.

Some have had bad results with this coil pack but it worked great for me. I have also had great results with thier other products in the past...Not to much a fan of the wires however they do perform well

Currently im at 13psi so I cant comment on any type of spark blowout whatsoever at this point

I would not gap my plugs to .60 but keeping the factory gap would be a plus over closing up the gap to .35

I know in the past the iridium plugs alone had helped me keep a factory gap as oppossed to closing it in high boost applications.

Some have had bad results with this coil pack but it worked great for me. I have also had great results with thier other products in the past...Not to much a fan of the wires however they do perform well

Currently im at 13psi so I cant comment on any type of spark blowout whatsoever at this point

Damon, thanks for the reply. I was not looking forward to pulling the Is out and regapping.

My SD coil experiences are real and not just because I spent a $100 for a coil. This is the first time I have bolted in a coil and had that many positive gains.

I use to have an MSD. What an expensive POS for the SC application. Saw absolutely no gain from it. Sent it back to the factory 3 times for repair and when it failed the 4th time I finally gave up. I would be driving and the SC would just die without warning. Thankfully, I had the bypass plug and was able to get home all four times.

I have an MSD box, distributor and coil in my Scarab 454 Mercrusier and love it. With Iridium plugs, it is the hot lick. Had it in for 4 years and never a miss or failure.

Ed

’94 SC Red Auto: 110,000 Miles, Headers, No Cats, Pro Torque 2500 Stall Converter, TRANSGO Shift Kit, 10,000 Lbs Auxiliary Tranny Cooler, Tranny Fluid Temp Gauge, 3.73 Gears, 70mm BK Throttle Body, 76mm C&L MAF with Gold Tube, A/F Ratio Gauge, Raised SC Top, Teflon IC Seals, ’90 XR7 SC Pulley, ARP Head-Rod-Main Studs, Scorpion 1.73 Rockers, Solid Motor Mounts, Iridium Plugs, Live Wire Plug Wires, Screamin’ Demon Coil, 36# Accel FIs, Custom Air intake, K&N 9” Cone, Royal Purple Synthetic Lubricants and Optima Yellow Top.

I just wish someone would publish some voltage or other meaningful numbers comparing the Screamin Demon to the stock coil pack. I think my car would benifit from a stronger spark, especially when using the nitrous.

David

Ed,

I was not aware that MSD had a coil for the SC.

Tom,

What is 15 hp??

Tom - To my knowledge, MSD does not make a coil for the SC. I bought the MSD ignition control box and two tach adapters per MSD to get it to work in my SC.

ED

Tom - To my knowledge, MSD does not make a coil for the SC. I bought the MSD ignition control box and two tach adapters per MSD to get it to work in my SC.

ED

Ed,

My name's not Tom. I was asking Tom what he meant by 15 hp. LOL

I just wish someone would publish some voltage or other meaningful numbers comparing the Screamin Demon to the stock coil pack. I think my car would benifit from a stronger spark, especially when using the nitrous.

David

David,

I totally agree with you. I don't understand why the manufacturer has not done any really world tests to publish.

A pessimist is never disappointed.......one of the three precepts of life I live my life by. Not to say I am a pessimist...just a realist. Goes back to my Boy Scout training....Be Prepared....Hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.

Most folks have no idea that many supposed high performance coils while producing higher voltage output at low RPMS actually have MORE drop off of output voltage at higher RPM's than do the stock OEM coils. Also it is current that ignites the fuel not output voltage. Since primary side current is limited to like 5.5 amps by the DIS Module....you raise secondary winding voltage you get LESS current to ignite the fuel.

Some of what Duffy is stating is explained in the google book linked below. Particularly page 19.
http://books.google.com/books?id=OI...ig=N4NzYKnJv0d9_3NQDgWFR9d_RKs&hl=en#PPA19,M1

You may also want to review Ohms Law to see the relation that Voltage and Current are locked into.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohm's_law

I find it is important to understand that the DIS and EDIS systems designed by Ford are shockingly well designed OEM ignition systems. I have seen a stock ignition system powering SC's running over 20psi of boost to over 400 rwhp on a dyno with nothing fancy other than perhaps some pastel colored spark plug wires. When you consider that the OEM power level of these cars was under 200rwhp, the scalability of the system is just amazing.

this doesn't mean that there can't be an advantage to other ignition components. It simply means that the room for any improvement is quite small, and will require a sophisticated effort.

One item to consider is that as Ford discontinues this part and the aftermarket picks it up. Can we safely assume that the standard aftermarket is going to be up to the standards that the Ford OEM parts set? Perhaps a performance oriented aftermarket solution will then have a leg up since they are focused on better than stock.

Last edited:
A better relationship for the coil is as a step up transformer.

Voltage in the Primary Windings / Voltage in the Secondary Windings is equal to
I (current) in the Secondary Windings / I (current) in the Primary Windings is equal to
N (turns) of the Primary Windings / N (turns) of the Secondary Windings

Thus, if the voltage is stepped up (VS > VP), then the current is stepped down (IS < IP) by the same factor (an inverse relationship).

Remember as well that in a SC both plugs of a cylinder pair fire at the same time so you get theoretically 1/2 of the current flow in each plug. In practice though the electrical "resistance" of the plug firing during the exhaust cycle is not the same as that of the plug trying to fire in a an air fuel mixture during the combustion cycle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformer

Technically the igniton coil is an induction coil but the theory is similar. You can't get something from nothing and current is lower in the seconday windings regardless.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induction_coil

I know that pual93sc had gone into this before so you can do a search and see what he had to say. I have used performance dist products for well over 10 years for my sbf stuff. They have always but out a quality product that has done what they have claimed. They aren't a snake oil fly by night establishment. Now I can't say there coil pack will give me the increase they claim on my sc, but muvh like ed I did seem to get a smoother running car from it. A noticible difference. I did not gap my plugs to .60 however they are at factory gap.

On my stangs I have noticed almost a .5 gain in the 1/4 with there coil/ignition modual. I guess if we want to know more....we need to ask them. They do use brass as oppossed to aluminum at the terminals..that much a difference can be visibly seen.

On my second demon...
First developed a small crack which caused numerous gremlins for over a year before I figured it out.

But....

It does seem to be a smoother running car. :)

Back