Balancer pulley goof up

DougD

Ok, how badly did I just &^%$ myself?

Took the crank pulley off the balancer, then read in the shop manual that the two are balanced together and should be marked for proper reassembly.

I carefully examined the witness marks and think I figured out the correct orientation but I really can't say for sure.

So....I presume that if the orientation is wrong I'll have a vibration?

Feeling a little stooopid right about now.

Cheers
Doug Dwyer

Ok, how badly did I just &^%$ myself?

Took the crank pulley off the balancer, then read in the shop manual that the two are balanced together and should be marked for proper reassembly.

I carefully examined the witness marks and think I figured out the correct orientation but I really can't say for sure.

So....I presume that if the orientation is wrong I'll have a vibration?

Feeling a little stooopid right about now.

Cheers
Doug Dwyer

The holes will only line up one way so I dont beleive you can mess it up

Ken

Ken is right, it will only bolt up one way. If you have all 4 bolts in, its in the right position. Did you remove the balancer and pulley? Your balancer might be messed up.

Whew ! Ok, good, thanks. I used up a bit of my Irish luck on that one but I'm not complaining.

Just went out an checked and my witness mark reading was correct after all but, still, I'm glad to have one less thing to worry about.

Have not removed the balancer...yet. After all I've read I was a bit surprised to see that it still looks good. The rubber bonding...as much as is visible...looks great. Not sure if I trust it, though, especially with some of my good luck already being spent :)

Cheers
DD

Doug,

Carefull if you do pull it. They can be wrecked really easy. Hand tighten the bolts when you install it back on the balancer. If the holes are not lined up right, one will not go in.

Back