shifting bad

89tird

today when i was going to work the car was cold , i was accelerating and noticed i didnt hear the engine all i heard was like the supercharger running or like a powersteering pump whine.. i looked at my rpm and i saw it around 2500 and i know the car shifts into 3rd around 1800 rpm.. went on like that for like 3 more minutes and then it started shifting normal.

also it wouldnt go into boost.

coming out of work same thing wouldnt come out of 1st gear or go into boost until it warmed up a lil bit and i pushed it past 2500 rpm. then shifted nice all the way home.

i heard like a vacuum leak sound from the engine when i got home couldnt find any but it reads like 18/hg at idle.

is my tranny going ??? could the bypass be sticking or something ?

if i grab the throttle linkage with the car off and i pull it towards the front of the car and let it go the spring moves it but it kind of springs back , ill post a sound clip in a sec .. is this normal ?

yes it is , i have it 1/4 of an inch away from the tightest possible..

im thinking it may need to be adjusted.. today it shifted normal.

im wondering though when is the car supposed to shift into 4th ?

i feel 3 shifts .. one like at 10 mph , one at 25 and then no shifts until 45 mph.. isn't 45 od?

yes it is , i have it 1/4 of an inch away from the tightest possible..

im thinking it may need to be adjusted.. today it shifted normal.

im wondering though when is the car supposed to shift into 4th ?

i feel 3 shifts .. one like at 10 mph , one at 25 and then no shifts until 45 mph.. isn't 45 od?

Yeah the shift at 45 is OD. Unless your into the throttle hard they shift quickly. I've got my TV cable adjusted as tight as possible and mine doesn't shift until about 55 with 2700 stall non locking converter and 3.73 gears.

David

so you go from 25 or 30 without shifting until 55 ?

does what i wrote sound normal about the speed it shifts at ? i lubricated my throttle cables last night , maybe thats why it worked fine today.

so you go from 25 or 30 without shifting until 55 ?

does what i wrote sound normal about the speed it shifts at ? i lubricated my throttle cables last night , maybe thats why it worked fine today.

Yes... if I'm letting the transmission shift itself. It's not uncommon for an AOD to be in 3rd gear before getting across a large intersection. When stock mine used to shift into OD at about 45 mph too.

Was it colder than normally? Shifting can be different due to that until trans fluid temp comes up.

The vac leak sound after key off may be a loose connection on the IC tubes. Check the collar nut to make sure it is tight. Then check the clamps at the IC.

Turn down your radio, and watch your tach when you are driving and see if you can notice any slipping as it goes into o.d. I think it is safe to assume something is different about it's shifting otherwise you wouldn't have posted. Try and identify what feels different. Also try to compare how it operates when cold vs when warm. See if there is any real difference.

ok sounds normal then.

i always let it warm up a lil bit before i leave my house.. i have no radio so i im always listening to every noise.

i usually leave when the vac gauge goes from 18 to about 15 in park. it only does that when cold. i dont notice any slipping when going into o.d and no difference between warm or cold.

the only thing i noticed was the fluid was a a bit past the crosshatch.

but drove normal today too dont know if it was the lubrication .. thanks david and mike :cool:

Back