Not good once again(new news on pg3)

92sclikenew

ok so if you dont know heres a link
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97100

well today after havin my trans for a week and a half he told me that the pump and the tq converter failed.. ok

but then he says... it could have been my fault if i didnt snug up the tq converter bolt and then go around again and tightn them.... sounds kind of ok..... but then he said something with the clearance of the tq converter and the pump.. and that that had to do with somthing i didnt...

oh this guy is lucky i aint talkin to him!!!!!!!!

why cant some people just say hey its my fault.. gezzzzz
but there is nothing to do with clearance... and how would not tightning the tq bolts evenly cause the pump to fail..

i think this is a bunch of bs to cover him.. but... what do you guys think im not no master with cars but this sounds like crap.. and just wanted to see what you guys thought of this bs...

Last edited:
Is this guy learning by you paying for his mistakes.I would not take it back to him again unless he pays for everything.

Is this guy learning by you paying for his mistakes.I would not take it back to him again unless he pays for everything.

oh hes payin

600 is all im payin

so you look at it the same as i do ether we got a bad part... but whats my chance's..... or he just dont know what he is doing....

anyone else got anything to add or do you all think the same.....

Last edited:
no one else has anything to add or say????

I believe I told you this was probably going to happen. If he was a stand up guy, he wouldn't have charged you the last time the pump failed, even if it was beyond their warranty period. Pump shouldn't fail that quick.

I don't see how you could have installed the converter wrong...it bolts to the flex plate...if converter bolts were loose you would have had all kinds of noise and would have seen that they were loose when removing the transmission.

When I install the tranny I tighten the converter bolts once and forget about them, so does everyone else I know.

David

If the converter was not pushed far enough onto the pump housing you will see evidence of this by wear on the pump gears. I hate AODs. Kinda funny saying that. Like saying I hate my hand, when I am stuck with it too. lol

Hes running down a play book for getting out of the work and your still falling for it. Dave and I can call play by play whats going to happen next. Get him to 'fix' it, then take it to another shop to have it inspected.

If your paying him $600 for a bench rebuild, he still making money. For all the business your family has done with him over the years, he should be standing behind his work instead of trying to get out of the warranty by blaming you for the failure.

David

If your paying him $600 for a bench rebuild, he still making money. For all the business your family has done with him over the years, he should be standing behind his work instead of trying to get out of the warranty by blaming you for the failure.

David

for sure dave i look at it the same...

also he aint tryin to get out of rebuilding it or anything

hes just sayin that he thinks thats what caused it..

and if it fails again he's gonna have a law suit.... and thats it... this will be the 4th time if it fails again..

im to the point of just tellin him i want my $600 and my blown sc trans back....

Last edited:
If the converter was not pushed far enough onto the pump housing you will see evidence of this by wear on the pump gears. I hate AODs. Kinda funny saying that. Like saying I hate my hand, when I am stuck with it too. lol

oh i know this isnt what happen....

hes sayin it like since i tighten them b4 i snuged them that some how i could have damaged the pump because it was unevenly tighten but if all the studs were sticking thru the flywheel how is it tightn uneven...

Ill be very surprised if your trans guy does anything.

Regardless of how much business your family has sent him,you squeezed him so tight on price that corners had to be cut ,including after sales service.

Ill be very surprised if your trans guy does anything.

Regardless of how much business your family has sent him,you squeezed him so tight on price that corners had to be cut ,including after sales service.

he set the price for me

we asked he said this much.........

he is fixing it and we have a warnety sayin 1 year or 12k miles... so he has to follow that atleast....

Anyone who doesn't know to check for converter clearance needs a serious education in installation. The first thing I do when I stab the trans on is make sure the converter studs are free. Then I start tightening the bellhousing bolts and checking the converter every time.
Alan

Anyone who doesn't know to check for converter clearance needs a serious education in installation. The first thing I do when I stab the trans on is make sure the converter studs are free. Then I start tightening the bellhousing bolts and checking the converter every time.
Alan

so thats what he means by clearance that maybe one stud wasnt thur.....

well they all were....

all the studs had to be through. The converter was not fully seated in the pump. When it started pump and hub damage occured. I've seen it many times. You have to make sure there is clearance between the converter and flexplate when the trans is bolted up. You want the nuts of the converter to pull the converter back about 1/8 inch.
Alan

all the studs had to be through. The converter was not fully seated in the pump. When it started pump and hub damage occured. I've seen it many times. You have to make sure there is clearance between the converter and flexplate when the trans is bolted up. You want the nuts of the converter to pull the converter back about 1/8 inch.
Alan

i know the tq converter was in all the way it slides in 3 times :eek::mad::( and the tq converter was lined up perfect with the flywheel.. so the studs didnt get hung up..

and if the tq converter wasnt in the pump all the way i would have known it soon as i started the car it would of made bad sounds...

the trans was a screamer for 500miles till it started to act up...........

Last edited:
i know the tq converter was in all the way it slides in 3 times :eek::mad::( and the tq converter was lined up perfect with the flywheel.. so the studs didnt get hung up..

Right there is your problem....you bolted the TC to a flywheel. :eek: Sorry, couldn't help it. :) I feel for you on tranny woes though. I hope it works ouit.

I imagine that there are a few people who just go ahead and crank down the bell housing bolts even when they know something's not going together right. But if it went together and "felt" correct w/o forcing things, I'm pretty sure you got it right and didn't damage the pump ring.

To me, just let it go... and don't sweat what he says about or whatever happened.. just let him make it good and be happy. You got a long life of this to contend with; might as well just get used to it now ;)

Back