Under nose...chin spoiler and...?

KMT

I replaced the missing chin spoiler on my '90 SC (35th Anniv.) today, and in the process, noted that the rear-most edge of the front skirt/fascia has four raised tabs with fastener holes that seem to be 'unassigned'. They are horizontal, and approx. 1" below the rear of the crossmember supporting the radiator.

It would seem they are supposed to brace the rear of the skirt, but I don't see anywhere/thing to bolt them to.

I'm wondering if there is another part, perhaps something to block airflow off the chin spoiler from simply spilling rearwards, rather than up and into the radiator and/or stiffen the skirt.

Photo at this link [ http://picasaweb.google.com/KentidC...underbirdSuperCoupe/photo#5174483934077415234 ] shows the area under the front of the car (looking left to right) - the vertical red arrows indicate the gap between the tabs and the crossmember. Zoom in for a closer look if desired.

If anyone knows if there is actually a part missing, or maybe those tabs were never used on our cars, I'd appreciate that information, thanks.

Ken

Nothing goes in between, the bumper is missing the push tabs tha secure it to the lower radiator support.

'Nothing goes in between'

No kidding...in that case, it should be trivial to close the books on this one.

I tried to raise them up, but they seemed reluctant to travel that far.

Guess I'll have to try again :)

Thanks for the help and prompt reply!

Ken

Actually there is a 1/8" (or so) thick rubber-like mat that is normally resides in that area too. I can't remember if the stack order is radiator support-mat-bumper or radiator support-bumper-mat. I think the mat is used as a splash guard or ensure there is the correct differential pressure drop across the radiator, or both. Going from memory, the mat is probably 11" x 30"

Actually there is a 1/8" (or so) thick rubber-like mat that is normally resides in that area too.

Kurt:

Thanks for the information - Guess I'll have to check for donor cars again at the junk yard :)

Ken

Photo of Factory Set-up

Attached below is a photo of how it's supposed to look when assembled correctly. The bottom of the facia is attached to the lower core support with four nylon push-in fasteners. The rubber air deflector sits on top of the lower facia mounting points.

JD

Attachments

• AIR DEFLECTOR.jpg
    AIR DEFLECTOR.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 652
Attached below is a photo of how it's supposed to look when assembled correctly

JD:

Wow - beautiful! You're too nice :)

Now all I have to do is find a replacement, which shouldn't be too difficult, given the number of donor cars the yard seems to have...thank you so much for your effort!

Ken

Back