chrome help...

sc steve

Hey guys, I met up with this guy that used to be real good friends with my brother in-law and it turns out that he just opened up a chrome shop downtown. I showed him my motor and he said he would chrome all the plumbing (pretty much everything grey) for around 250.00 bux. Is there different ways of chroming? Will it turn colors from the heat? I just dont want it done this winter then during the summer when I drive her again to start doing wierd stuff or flaking off. I have never had anything chromed before and I trust the guy but he is new at it too, so any feedback would be great.

thanks,
-Steve

downtown Buffalo somewhere. If you are interested, I will give the guy a call and get his addy for you... let me know!

-Steve

Steve, I just had a bunch of stuff chromed (all the plumbing plus SC top, both adapter plenums and the TB for like $450.00.

BUT, I polished most of the stuff prior to getting it chromed. The chrome is very thin and the final chrome finish will look exactly like the metal finish before the chrome went on. If you want he chrome to look like a mirror then the aluminum needs a mirror polish befor the chrome goes on.

If your friend will strip and polish that stuff for $250.00 then jump on it, fast. I found out that it is the polishing prior to chroming that is expensive not the actual chrome. It is a big undertaking to smooth and polish all that stuff.

Also be careful not to let him chrome inside the stuff. If the chrome ever flakes off and gets ingested.......well you get the idea.

THANKS for the tips man! I guess it is kind of a good deal then, lol. He did tell me that I should wait untill winter just because of how long it might take him (depending on buisness for him). I did not realize that you had to polish the metal prior to the chroming though, but now that I think about it... it makes perfect sense. I will also be sure to let him know to stay away from the inlets and outlets on the blower, lol. Man would that be a mess! Thanks again bro

-Steve:D

Back