Car starts a little hard then smells of gas

trackjunkie

Like the title says, I have to crank it for a few seconds to start, whereas it used to spring right to life. Once it gets going I smell gas for a while. Still runs great after that.
I'm thinking it may need spark plugs. My dad bought it new and in 117,000 miles I know it has never had new ones.

Question: Sound like plugs or something else to you?

Next Question: How do you change the plugs? I can't even see them from the top. I'm thinking I have to either get them from the bottom, or pull a bunch of krap off the top. Anyone done this job before?

Thanks.

Do a test for me. Turn the key halfway without starting the car, shut it off, turn it halfway again, then start it. This cycles the fuel pump a few times to make sure pressure is up. If it starts right up, you probably have a fuel leak which is common on these older cars beause they came with cheap plastic fuel lines stock. Either way, you need a tune-up my man!

Passenger side is do-able from the top, you'll want a flexable head ratchet for the front two. For the last one I use a normal ratchet with a short extention.

For the driver side, you porbably will need to get at them from the bottom. I have a custom intercooler, so I can do all min from the top within 30 minutes.

Chris

Last edited:
baturner0

go the web site thunderbird 35th registy main page, they have maintence tips on how to change each plug 1-6, tools needed..

mine did the same thing, ended up being the fuel pressure regulator, put a fuel pressure gauge on it and make sure it holds pressure for at least 15 minutes after shutdown

Back