injector questions, direction needed

Tom B

heres my situation, 10k on engine, ARP head stds, 94 sc w/stock 94pulley. My psger side cat did the self destruck thing and I think it may have been caused from my original 30# injectors(300+k). prior to the cat thing, the car runs good and gets 20-22 mpg mostly in town driving, but does not idle rock steady the way it used to.
So I have my Eshaust prts collected and I dont want to put the new cats on and have them ruined.. things always seem to happen when your not ready... because I have to take care of my exhaust now as it is not drivable in boost situations. I have C&L 76 and a set of 42 inj. w/correct sample tube, 2.5 to 3 to 2.5 exhaust.
Can I just just bolt on this stuff and get away without a tune for a while (six months or so) ????

take a look at my members page....i have all my mods done and running on the stock 30#'ers. im not ignorant to the fact i need a fuel upgrade and tune but the car is running very well.i take it into boost somtimes too. maybe im just not makin enough power to max them out (i hope not).

the 42#'s and sample tube will be good but u should eventually get a tune before any drag/racing or dynoing. 30# to 42# is kind of a big step.

I once ran my sc 30# and mas in a 93 mustang 2.3 n/a step on to hard off the line it would flood but wance rolling would scream. put back stock was fine. drove it like that for a mounth.

stock 94/95 injectors are 36 lb'rs and stock 89-93 injectors are 30 lb. seems to me with the 42's it'd be running pig rich.

injectors

your car will not run right with 42's my suggestion is to order a sample tube for the 30's and the put the c&l on the car, it will probably run alot better until you can afford to dyno tune it with the 42's and i hoping a lot more boost other wise why are you trying to use 42's on a almost stock basically 94/95 setup it doesn't make enough power for 42's. Why dont you sell the 42's and buy 36's or 32's? To much fuel is not a good thing. And you need to check for other problems on why the cat took a crap because an injector will not cause that.

your car will not run right with 42's my suggestion is to order a sample tube for the 30's and the put the c&l on the car, it will probably run alot better until you can afford to dyno tune it with the 42's and i hoping a lot more boost other wise why are you trying to use 42's on a almost stock basically 94/95 setup it doesn't make enough power for 42's. Why dont you sell the 42's and buy 36's or 32's? To much fuel is not a good thing. And you need to check for other problems on why the cat took a crap because an injector will not cause that.

the car will start and run with the 42's and the "sample tube will get it close but ultimately a tune is needed. if ur planning on upgrading in the near future, keep the 42's. im thinking with 300k on the factory injectors, 1 or more may have given out. less fuel than normal gives a lean condition, making the exhaust gas alot hotter than normal. that would definitely burn up the inside of a converter.

i think u should find out if u have injector pulse on all 6 of them. umay have to find a cheap set of working 30#'ers. maybe $50 or so.

Wow

I am planning on more upgrades and have been collecting the parts I just dont have everything yet... I was asking about using the 42's because I know they are good. I have my exhaust parts which i will be installing shortly, I just didnt want to ruin my new cats if I used my old (maybe faulty) injectors. I also dont want to ruin them tring to drive the car with 42's if it will not be ok!!! I am not planning on driveing the car hard or porting my blower or installing overdrive pulleys untill I can get the tune. I need to know if it will be ok at cruise speeds about 20 miles aday with the 42's as this is my commutter car.

If you run the right sample tube for the 42's you should be fairly safe as the computer will adjust... and 42's are about the limit it can compensate for. Its not so much the AFR you need to worry about, its the timing because of the skewed MAF readings.

Fraser

Thank you FTurner

Thats what I wanted to know, as I dont plan on hot dogging it till I can get what I need to get it tuned. thanks for all who replied!!!

Back