Radiator fan doesn't work (more problems 7/17)

Evan_90SC

I just noticed a couple days ago that my radiator fan never comes on. I have done some searches on here and have only come up with 2 possible solutions...the IRCM and the fan motor. I swapped out my IRCM with the one from my friends SC, and still no fan. I also tested his fan in my car and it still didn't come on. I have also tried turning on the a/c, but mine doesn't work so that doesn't kick the fan on either. What else could be the problem, and how could I test it? I think my IRCM and fan motor are good, so there has to be another problem. T-stat maybe? Maybe I just need a new t-stat? Or can I clean the one I have? Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Try unplugging the coolant temp sensor with the ignition on. Doing that will turn the fan on. That would be a quick way to see if the fan is getting power. Sensor is located between the DIS module and the supercharger and is on a hex shaped stalk.

David

Haha...I don't know why I didn't think of the fuse...:rolleyes: I'll try that. If that doesn't work then I'll try the coolant temp sensor. I'll get to that in about an hour here, and I'll post what I find. Thanks guys.

I have also tried turning on the a/c, but mine doesn't work so that doesn't kick the fan on either.

I had a same issue... Thing is, you answered, what fixed my problem...

The day I charged my A/C the fan worked like it was suppose to.. :confused:

So I unplugged the coolant temp sensor, and that made my fan come on. What does this mean? What do I have to fix in order to make the fan run properly?

Coolant temp sensor would be the first step.

So does it just unscrew and pop right out? I've got a parts car so I will take the temp sensor off of that one and see if it fixes it. By unplugging the temp sensor the fan runs all the time...could this be considered the same as cutting the #14 wire of the IRCM?

Yes it does unscrew. Maybe, but I would only use it as a temporary solution to the problem.

I don't think I'll do it... I was just curious. :) My car has ran with no fan since I've owned it...about a year now... and I just now noticed it. It has always run at the M in norM when fully hot, and I always thought that was a little hotter than it should run. Once I get the fan running properly I want to do the #14 wire trick... Is this ok to do if I drive it daily? I have read that it just will wear the fan motor out in about 3 to 4 years... Also, if I cut the 14 wire, then attach the IRCM side of the cut wire to the #17, the low speed fan will cut out when the high speed needs to turn on... Is that correct? Thanks.

go change the ECt sensor and see if it works. my cars doing the same thing and i dont want to go buy one if I dont need it

go change the ECt sensor and see if it works. my cars doing the same thing and i dont want to go buy one if I dont need it

I can't do it at this exact moment...My parts car isn't located at my house. It is at my friend's house about a half an hour away from me. I wish I could just go outside and change it...:rolleyes: I will be going to his house tomorrow and I will change it then and see what happens. As soon as I do it I will post my findings on here. :)

Gonna switch out the sensor later today... I also have a question about doing the IRCM wire 14 trick... If I cut it, and attach the IRCM side of the cut #14 to the #17, does the low speed fan cut out when the high speed needs to turn on? Is it bad to run the low speed at all times if it is my daily driver? I've read that it might just wear out the fan motor in like 3 to 4 years...is that the only downside? Thanks.

AND when its cold it takes forever and a year to warm up
If you want to control it yourself get a relay and a switch
thats what im doing

-Tony-
PS, if you need info i have it all

Or you could go to, Spinning Wheels. Go around the computer with a new adjustable temp kit. They cost about 90dollars you have to wire the kit yourself. The other thing if you can't figure it out take somewere and pay, probably 50-500? If your car is very nice like mine is/was I'd take it somewere. It's mostlikely/should be the ect. sensor.

Last edited:
Tried the coolant temp sensor... Didn't fix my problem. I actually tried two different sensors, so I'm pretty sure the sensor is not my problem. When I unplug the sensor and the fan turns on in "saftey mode" which speed is running?... I think I am just going to end up wiring it to a switch, that seems to be the way to go. :)

your low speed comes on. I would look into the temp kit or wire it to your key so you don't have to flip a switch. you also might want to try a ircm. It's the black box behind the passanger light.

Back