Trans rebuild questions!

birdsc

I'm going to have to find a new trans soon since my current one is showing strong signs of failing soon...:mad: I'd like to get some info from people who have had their trans rebuilt or done a 5 speed swap to get a better idea of what are my options. Since it seems like quite a few scers here have had problems with their auto trannies, I thought this would be the best place to ask from those!

Car is 94 sc auto and has the famous "bulletproof" 4r70w in it...:D Options are to get a rebuilt 4r70w or to do a 5-speed swap. Since i'm in Finland I don't wanna try if some other 94 4r70w with 150k on it will last or not. The shipping costs and labour cost of mounting it here in Finland are too expensive to take the risk of getting a "new" one that will fail after next few k miles.

As I'm quite new with sc:s, auto transmissions and have no clue of general price level of tranny shops in US, i'd like to know what should professionally done rebuilding/upgrading to a 4r70w cost. It should be rebuilt and uprgraded(extra clutch plates, j-mod etc...) to ~350 rwhp specs. It should be also modded to fit an sc since it's likely going to be a mustang 98- tranny. What should the price be approximately including labour and parts(not the tranny itself)?

I'm not trying to find the cheapest rebuilder, just trying to get a clue of what the price should be approximately, so i don't pay too much or buy something too cheap that isn't good quality.

Especially facts from people that have done the same kind of rebuild are more than wellcome. Where did you get it rebuilt? what did it cost? Have you been satisfied with the trans/has it worked properly?

Is there any idea on rebuilding with oem parts or are the aftermarket parts much better for a "basic" rebuild with minor changes to trans?

The core price of course varies depending on mileage and model year but i have some idea what they cost so that's not really a problem.

I'm also considering a 5-speed swap if i can find a good package with a fair price. What about mr52s.
Can you get new parts for those anymore from anywhere in case i'd have to rebuild one?

What parts do you need to do the 5-speed swap(everything you need to do the auto-manual swap)?

Sorry for my not so good english, hope you understand most of it:)
Thanks for your possible answers!

Aaro, Helsinki Finland

Last edited:
Get an 02 v6 mustang trans and do a few changes to it. You'll be fine that way. Converter makes more performance than the trans does.
Alan

Back