Blower top driving me crazy!!!

intermision

I can't get the dumb collar off, I have the right spanner wrench and everything. I think ford made it out of old soda cans or something it's so soft. I don't really want to reuse it so I don't mind destroying it, any ideas?

mine is a little marded up so i just use oil filter plyers. just leave a few marks. thooth broke off my coller wrench, so i started useing plyers

I can't get the dumb collar off, I have the right spanner wrench and everything. I think ford made it out of old soda cans or something it's so soft. I don't really want to reuse it so I don't mind destroying it, any ideas?
Are you sure you're turning it the correct way (clockwise when viewed from the driver's side)?

Just take off the bolts holding the top on, and then the top tube nuts at the intercooler. Take the whole assembly off.

Then once you have it off, you can easily heat it if necessary to loosen it up, plus then you can visualize it better to make sure you're tuning it the right direction.

They make large spanner wrenches that have an adjsutable arm. Not sure if the local parts store carrys them. Again, be sure that any force you are applying to loosen the nut is being applied in the UP direction. That bad boy is torqued to 150 Lbs-ft.

Since it appears the nut is now dinged up pretty bad I would suggest as in a previous post a pipe wrench.

Also, before you put it back together, invest in a set of reuseable teflon IC seals. I think I got mine for Texas T-Bird and that is the best $25 I ever spent on my SC.

Ed

They make large spanner wrenches that have an adjsutable arm. Not sure if the local parts store carrys them. Again, be sure that any force you are applying to loosen the nut is being applied in the UP direction. That bad boy is torqued to 150 Lbs-ft.

Since it appears the nut is now dinged up pretty bad I would suggest as in a previous post a pipe wrench.

Also, before you put it back together, invest in a set of reuseable teflon IC seals. I think I got mine for Texas T-Bird and that is the best $25 I ever spent on my SC.

Ed

I plan on doing that, I'm turning it th right way, the opposite of normal.

If your not planning to use the nut, just use a cutting wheel or hack saw and cut it off. This would work better with the top removed and in a vise, but can be done on the car with a cutting wheel.

David

I needed to use a breaker bar with a pipe on it to get the stock collar nut off. I am so glad I don't have to deal with that set-up any more.

Drop some chalk on the old hands and give it some brute force! :p

I plan on doing that, I'm turning it th right way, the opposite of normal.

Well, lets clarify "opposite of normal". The nut screws on "righty tighty, lefty lucie". So when you are turning the nut no matter where you are standing, so the slots are moving from the rear to the front you are TIGHTENING the nut vice when the slots are going from front to back you are LOOSENING the nut. Is this what you are doing?

David Neibert has an excellent idea. Take the top and upper IC pipe off. That has to be much easier to work with. That way you can put the top in a vice using a towel to prevent damage to the top mating surface and get that 24" pipe wrench on that sucker.

ED

By the way, I agree that the aluminum making up the collar nut seems really soft. I was filing a spare top the other day to reduce some of the gouges from removing it, and the file seems to cut right through the collar nut material. In contrast, filing on the top itself or the blower case is a lot harder.

Back