I blew the coller nut off the raised top!

nwnsc

;)i put a raised top i got with the car on sealed every thing up. fix the stering rack new plugs ect. took it for a test drive with my freind mike car was doing good so we went to the back street on top of the hill started off and layed into it in 2nd got a little spin with a hop or 2 hooked and hit 3trd and pop!! mike said what did you do as the car died. started back up and it was screaming sound come form motor. limped upto the next street and puled over. it was dark and we could not see so we hoped in and rolled back to the house about 1/2 mile. got home and looked coller retaner blew off and inch gap between top and ic tube. How do i fix this? going to put stock back on tomarow. it has a 95 blower 10% high flow cats, no mufflers, cai, 5speed with 3 27s and have 97 bird headers to instal. i want to put a fmic in it but woried about the aftermarket tubes will do the same thing. top look well done just lost coller nut on its sill on the ic tube.

im working om pics. but i found out it was my falut. i forgot to put in the lower ic tube suport bolt. it also broke the returm plem.

I couldn't get the support bolt on the upper tube after installing raised top. Misaligned about a quarter inch. Sounds like you should take a look at your motor mounts. The IC is supported by the tubes themselves but if there's too much movement, it's a tight space.

bran new ruber mounts ic boot rooted so bad i took it out. lower ic tube holds ic up. return plem. broke off ear with bolt in it. found that this moring. can get pics. to load will e mail if u want to see

No way should that happen unless you have a mount issue.most never put those support bolts back in

Damon,

I dissagree...without at least one bolt in the lower IC tube, it can't support the weight of the IC and IC tubes and will loosen the connections and could actually cause a failure such as being described. Leaving out the upper IC tube bolt is not a big deal, but it is a big deal to leave out the lower tube bolts.

David

David have you ever seen that happen? I havent. I suppose if you left all bolts out and the shroud section up front an...I cant see cracking return plenum and somehow blowing upper tube off of the collar nut. I would think it would come loose first and get a boost leak before that would ever happen...But who knows....I would think something else was up such as a torn mount as well

Last edited:
no it just broke on the test drive about 10 mins. i think the wheel hop cracked it and full boost it 3rd blew it apart. new motor mounts and tran. mount. i have it fixed now put stock top on and some parts from the 93 in the back yard. if u want to see send me your email. and i send pics. i cant get to load to post

You can post right here..Click manage attatchments...See if that works..I still cant believe that happened...Pretty wild

David have you ever seen that happen? I havent. I suppose if you left all bolts out and the shroud section up front an...I cant see cracking return plenum and somehow blowing upper tube off of the collar nut. I would think it would come loose first and get a boost leak before that would ever happen...But who knows....I would think something else was up such as a torn mount as well

Damon,

I haven't see it break off the flange of the return plenum, but I have expericed a big vacuum leak within a couple days from the IC connections coming loose, because I forgot to install the lower IC tube bolts. Could it happen ? Yes I think it could especially if the IC was located too close to the radiator and there was enough engine movement to push against the IC under hard acceleration.

I have seen someone break off one of the ears from the return plenum because of overtightning, so it's not hard to imagine breaking one by bouncing around an unsupported IC.

David

his blower top/returnplenum

here is the pics

Attachments

• bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb.jpg
    bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 66
  • bwwbfbbfbfwbwbfw........................................JPG
    bwwbfbbfbfwbwbfw........................................JPG
    14.9 KB · Views: 54
  • juyg.JPG
    juyg.JPG
    27.4 KB · Views: 72
  • nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.jpg
    nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 72
  • ui.JPG
    ui.JPG
    26.3 KB · Views: 71
dude send me top and $30 ill fix top and send you a return plenum with it when fixed. call mannyat 909-475-8352 or send to manny 865 w 41st street san bernardino ca 92407 ill get er done

First time Ive seen that happen:eek:. There is a lot of weight hanging off the top and return plenum if the bolts in the lower tube are not carrying the weight. Did you replace the intake or weld back up?

Ken

i have a 93 in the back yard with a big hole in the oil pan.:mad: lots of parts and upgrades for the 90 and the 35th:D fixed it the next day. the raised top will go back in when i get a fmic. DO NOT FORGET THE LOWER IC BOLT!!!!!!!!! ALL IT TACKS IS WHEEL HOP TO CRACK IT FILL IT WITH BOOST AND BOOM:(

Back