SC#2 He wants $1500..And we say...

f1rocco

SC #2 found this one last week with no plates....Looked mint from 60 foot

100_1985.jpg

http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h184/f1rocco460/SuperCoupes/

1989 5spd SC

Heres HIS description.......

Rock solid...200 miles on new rebuilt....Keith Black pistons..Clevite bearings....Alot of money spent.....Ticket doing 160 on the thruway..Tranny has a grind between 2nd and third...Has another tranny to go with car..He also mentioned that his black trim and white 5 speed is super rare...Under 500made..lol........He wants $1500

I get there this is what I see in 5 minutes.......

Surface rust on all four wheel well lips...Not bad...But its there...
Drivers purple seat is torn
Passenger side cigar burn
154K on the odometer....
Rear Tires whipped.....
Stereo missing....
dented fender
rust under hood lip

Still clean and not bad for an 89 in my rust country....

Now the engine....

Nothing at all looks new at all....I pull the dipstick and its at least a quart to 2short and is dirty...I say with a grin...Must be a leak in the oil pan....I then see the driverside valve cover leaking....But has a new water pump and belts....He has no paperwork on the rebuilt......He knows I know the deal.....lol

Im still thinking on offering him $800 for a running driving whipped SC with an extra tranny ...Im guessing he replaced just the water pump and belts at the most.....

So what do yall think...

The rust on the rims is brake/rotor dust...It will clean. Dont know just how rare SC wise but I seen many in that trim

Could be rebuilt..I say throw some oil in it and take it for a spin

I love to take pics before buying....I then come home and look over the pics.

.....Obvious that he yanked the plug wires...Yuck....And appears that the bad valve cover gasket has been there for awhile based on the brake fluid reservoir and oil everywhere...Not the neatest job routing wires and lines either.....Im guessin he replaced the head gaskets and water pump and belts.....Reused the old wires and valve cover gaskets and told his buddys that a shop rebuilt it........HACK

I still want it though.....$800 too much...To little....Body isnt bad..I ran my fingers inside the wells and layed in the snow to check the pans...Plus Id have two 5 speeds...

The color is called current red and I have the same car only a year newer.

Doesn't all super coupes have black trim?

Before buying mine I looked at quite a few and I found the the majority of these cars are very rough..."rode hard and put away wet".

I gave up on finding one with decent mechanicals and was grateful just to find one with an almost perfect, totally rust-free body.

I've always looked at it this way: a used car a three main elements --body, interior, and mechanicals. If any one of the three is good it might be worth buying at the right price. If all three are bad, well.....

Cheers
DD

Update

The one I found close by the guy was like "yeah its only got 40k original miles, and just needs a head gasket" I get car fever so I was like "okay okay how much?" The guy was like "1500" So I'm all excited, keep in mind it was dark when I looked at it so I never did see the miles on the clock. I go back like a week later during the daylight, pull the dipstick and it has coolant all over it, and there were 154k on the clock, so I said "you said it had 40k miles on it." He said "yeah I didn't see that"....a sucker's born every minute right? So I'm still willing to stand there and talk to this guy, and he's like "yeah the tranny's is slipping in first and second, but then she runs like a scalded dawg!!!" Then he cranks it up and revs it cold....:eek:....not that it mattered anyway I guess. I was like "yeah man she purs like a kitten." Then I told him I'd give him $200 :D He said No, so I was like "well if you change your mind let me know, just don't send it to the crusher....these are pretty rare." So he says to that "yeah there were only like 1000 ever made and only 30 left"....I said "yeah next year you'll see them on Barret Jackson!" :D

Then I told him I'd give him $200 :D He said No, so I was like "well if you change your mind let me know, just don't send it to the crusher....these are pretty rare." So he says to that "yeah there were only like 1000 ever made and only 30 left"....I said "yeah next year you'll see them on Barret Jackson!" :D

Probably will end just like you said....If it does I will use your Barret Jackson comment....lol..

I will go down and see the guy about 4pm today....Im gonna offer him $700 without the spare tranny and $800 with it......I dont really want it now but will take it for $700/800.....I just see myself buying parts later to narrow down future problems.....I probably will spend $300-$500 for a beat motor soon and tranny as a back up.....So I might just as well find the cheapest parts car to lower my investment for later........

F1

That orange dust on the front rims is brake fluid mixed with brake dust leaking from the caliper..

That orange dust on the front rims is brake fluid mixed with brake dust leaking from the caliper..

I hate to ask how you know that....

Generally the rust is from a mixture or brake dust and rotor(metal) dust....Ask me how I know :O)

I hate to ask how you know that....

Generally the rust is from a mixture or brake dust and rotor(metal) dust....Ask me how I know :O)

Next time you go to Jr's ask him to show you the pictures of rear caliper and rotor off the Denali.. It also happened on my old SC back in 1994.. Thats not just brake dust.. There is a problem with the caliper that is leaking out brake fluid.. If it was just brake and rotor dust it wouldnt be orange..

dude..what happens when iron or steel rusts..Being a guy that usually never changes his brakes till they start squeekin..I experience it often:)

from the look,s of the pine needles,rust on the ac pully,this car looks to have been sitting awhile.

I'd give him 400 if it was me.

I think you are about right........

The orange on the front rim is rust...Car has been sitting and the caliper and rotor has dust rust......

DougD wrote
"I've always looked at it this way: a used car a three main elements --body, interior, and mechanicals. If any one of the three is good it might be worth buying at the right price. If all three are bad, well....."

Its going through oil...valve cover leak and probably needs head work

Brake fluid looks low in picture

Body has rust and a dent or two

Tires are bald

Interior is cracked and a rip

Tranny grinds in 2nd and 3rd....

Not much left but parts.....................................

Thanks Peeps

F1

I think you are about right........

The orange on the front rim is rust...Car has been sitting and the caliper and rotor has dust rust......

DougD wrote
"I've always looked at it this way: a used car a three main elements --body, interior, and mechanicals. If any one of the three is good it might be worth buying at the right price. If all three are bad, well....."

Its going through oil...valve cover leak and probably needs head work

Brake fluid looks low in picture

Body has rust and a dent or two

Tires are bald

Interior is cracked and a rip

Tranny grinds in 2nd and 3rd....

Not much left but parts.....................................

Thanks Peeps

F1

Walk away...looks like a real POS. Can't believe the seller said the motor only had 200 miles on it since being rebuilt and didn't even bother with putting fresh oil in it.

David

Walk away...looks like a real POS. Can't believe the seller said the motor only had 200 miles on it since being rebuilt and didn't even bother with putting fresh oil in it.

David

I'm with David on this one...you can see he is full of chit on the motor...makes me question what else you'll find to give yourself a headache down the road.

-Tim

Back