steering wheel

wingzeroac195

SCCoA Member
One more thing, I have 1.25 spacer in my SC wit 17" bullitt wheel, brand new tie rod, rotors, pads, and new tires, but when I go like 70+mph the sterring wheel shakes and this is while driving and no using the brakes, any ideas?

Tire out of balance?Why are you using 1.25 spacers?And are they hub centric?If they aren't that might be part of the problem.

Jay

vibration

Could be as simple as wheels out of balance....however I had 18X9s on my LX and it would vibrate wildly (throughout the whole car, not just the steering wheel) at a certain RPM, but was most noticable at about 1700 RPM in 4th (since it was the fastest) but once I took notice it would do it at the same RPM in the lower gears too (just much slower) after having the wheels balanced two or three times and the problem persisted, I tried centering the wheel on the hub and then with a torq wrench tightening the lugs (in the star pattern) first to 50 ft/lbs and then to 100ft/lbs, making sure the wheels where centered on the hub and torqued down evenly got rid of the problem. Maybe the spacers are throwing it off....:confused:

While the symptom may indicate balance alone, it may be too late to expect that to help. (I'm assuming you had the tires balanced and the car aligned when the work was done recently)

From TSB 98-5A-4 @ this link...
-=-=-=-
ISSUE
The use of air impact tools to tighten wheel lug nuts can lead to overtightened and/or unevenly tightened wheel lug nuts. Air impact tools typically used for wheel lug nut removal and installation can generate up to 475 N-m (350 lb-ft) of torque*. Overtightened and/or unevenly torqued wheel lug nuts may cause:

• Brake vibration
  • Distortion of the wheel hub
  • Distortion of the brake rotor
  • Brake rotor runout
  • Damage to the wheel
  • Damage to the wheel nuts and studs
-=-=-=-
Just something to keep in mind if a rebalance doesn't work out. You may want to ask for a high speed balance just to be sure.

*85 ~ 105 is apparently factory spec

Last edited:
Back