Napa spindle nuts 4X4?

Jeremy_K

:confused: Has anyone ever bought their front spindle nut from Napa? I picked one up yesterday and the package says it's for a 4X4 but it is the recommended part number for the cougar. Just making sure it's OK to use.

hmm, I don't know if I would like that one. It should go on hard if it is not a multi-piece type of nut.

The multi-piece type allows for high torque application while resisting vibration backing it off.

Others I've seen will be slightly out of round which will attempt to do the same, but such usually can not have a high amount of torque applied to them.

That BK number I posted has a picture that looks correct. You may want to check around for something different.

I've had a terrible time finding one at parts houses. Most can't even order one. I haven't tried ford yet because I figured they're either obsolete or ridiculously priced. I can't believe they're not castle nuts on there. I'll put some red loctite on there and hope for the best.:eek:

www.rockauto.com lists the correct nut.

DORMAN Part # 615155 {AutoGrade - Boxed}
Rear
+ Sold in packs of 2; Price reflects cost of each individual item, not the pack
$5.35

DORMAN Part # 615098 {AutoGrade - Boxed}
Front
+ Sold in packs of 5; Price reflects cost of each individual item, not the pack

$6.48
Not sure why they list a different one for the front and back though. I would buy the rear one that only requires you to buy 2 of them.

I already bought 2 for the front from Napa ($7 ea.). Do they have to be the 2 piece? How does that outer sleeve work anyway to keep it tight? If need be I can order some from rock auto. I would really like to get this project underway though so I can get some new tires. Duffy, thanks for that info. I just wish they were more available. there's still lots of cars on the road that can use them. I found one other parts place online that lists the dorman "kit" does the kit mean it comes with 2 nuts? Are the fronts and rears the same thread/style? Sorry for the questions. I'm used to doing wheel bearings on 4x4s and packing my own bearings (the cheap kind):rolleyes:

As far as I know the Ford PN was the same for the front to back so the threads size would be the same. The purpose I believe of the intregral washer (not two different pieces...all part of the nut) is to spread the clamping force equally over the bearing surfaces (for the fronts) or the hub surface (in the rear) which is part of the reason the nut torque is 250 Ft Lbs...you are pre-loading the bearing pack inside the front hub.

The nut has a series of plates inside its cage that deform as tightened on the spindle or half shaft end. It is part of the deisgn to have them stay tight....kinda like self locking. They are supposedly a single use design.

The way I read the Rockauto info was the fronts came in packages of 5 (you had to buy them as a package even though they quoted the price as the each price) and the rears came in packages of 2.

Anyone happen to know the size socket for the napa nut? It's bigger than anything in my inventory. I may have to take a trip to harbor freight.

just throwing in. I have a lot of napa stuff on my car rebuilt heads all upper gaskette set. napa mercron and oil, starter and relay. must say for work purposes and ocassional beating stuff has worked great And have gotten the motor hot! no headgaskette failure! also not to mention great exchange on defective reman. stuff.

just throwing in. I have a lot of napa stuff on my car rebuilt heads all upper gaskette set. napa mercron and oil, starter and relay. must say for work purposes and ocassional beating stuff has worked great And have gotten the motor hot! no headgaskette failure! also not to mention great exchange on defective reman. stuff.

Yeah, I've never had a problem with Napa myself. They're a little more expensive but they usually have hard to find parts and they usually have them in stock or can get them quick.

As far as I know the Ford PN was the same for the front to back so the threads size would be the same. The purpose I believe of the intregral washer (not two different pieces...all part of the nut) is to spread the clamping force equally over the bearing surfaces (for the fronts) or the hub surface (in the rear) which is part of the reason the nut torque is 250 Ft Lbs...you are pre-loading the bearing pack inside the front hub.

The nut has a series of plates inside its cage that deform as tightened on the spindle or half shaft end. It is part of the deisgn to have them stay tight....kinda like self locking. They are supposedly a single use design.

The way I read the Rockauto info was the fronts came in packages of 5 (you had to buy them as a pckage even though they quoted the price as the each price) and the rears came in packages of 2.

duffy,

do you think if i bought 4 of the rears from rockauto that i could use two on the front two on the rear? im putting in 3.5" wheel studs and need to pull all 4 and replace them.

I believe you will be getting 5 if you purchase the ones for the rear according to their listing. If it were me I would call and ask them since there must be a reason they list 2 part numbers yet Ford only has one. Get a measurement of the max. diameter of the integrated washer and see if it will fit.

Back