PS pulley removal

Dahoopd

anyone have any better ideas on removing and installing the pulley. I have a snap-on tool and it has been nothing but a PIA. I got the pulley off and tried to reinstall the new pulley and the bolt kept breaking loose during the install. I let it sit and now the bolt wont come out and the shaft is rusty.

I am going to buy a new pump and throw the snap on kit away along with the old pump. Any easy advice for the pulley install.

I bought mine from Advance and it has worked flawlessly the four or five times I have used it.....

The bolt should thread into the end of the p/s pump. Thus no slipping when reinstalling. Make sure the shaft surface is clean.

I've found that using a mapp gas torch to heat up the pulley before removal, and stick it in the oven at 250 for 30 minutes before installing.

I've done it before without doing that, but it's a lot more work with everything cold. The heat makes it much easier. Be careful when heating the pulley when it's on the pump. You don't want to burn up the pump shaft seal.

MIke,

I didnt want to heat it because it was freshly powdercoated but I might try it now that I got an uncoated pulley. I will take the big-e's advice and get a new tool

how much for the tool i like snap on

I have a few snap on tools and I can tell you, this thing is junk.

Back