I gotta guy...Camshaft ?

f1rocco

Im lucky enough to have a good friend to help me do my head gaskets..Im also going to pay him as well.....He has done the SC as well as many newer vehicles...says "SC is a Btch but we will take care of it".....Im an old carb guy myself.......I figure Ill help him and learn myself the tricks for the first time with this motor with an experienced peep......

I have the head gaskets and Head bolts already(not great..Its the Felpro kit..Came with the car)....Figure Id change out the water pump as well......

? is.......What cam kit to get and I need it Tomorrow...J/K but real soon..

Is it easy enough to swap the cam lifters while the top end is apart and still in the car...Im thinking now is the best time....Ive searched here and will probably go with bigger springs...Maybe 510d area..Heads decked as well...Valves and guides checked....Car will be mostly street with some Watkins Glen open road course action.....No 1/4 action....Been there done that....This motor will be my current driver...A better motor built this coming winter...If the swap really isnt needed because the current is the stick 89 cam...Well I can just leave it in....Now is the time to ask though....

Just wondering

Thanks

F1

Yup seen the SCperformance cams but thought the stage II at 500 was kinda short for the price....

Then I seen this

You can get a cam from Dave Dalke he'll spec one for just what you're looking to do and for a regrind it's only like 150 or 175 don't remember.You can get upgraded valve springs from him also cheap.
Jay

This is where I would like to go....He is also the man with the bag of chips..

Thanks

F1

I recently bought a regrind from David Dalke, got the cam, longer pushrods, and appropriate springs for $275 shipped. Turnaround time was good, depending on the cam you get he may have it in stock already. This is the way to go if you ask me.

Throw away the FelPro bolts and buy the ARP head bolt kit or you might just be wasting your time. The bolts are the root cause of the head gasket failure.

JD

I don't know how good an idea it is to reuse the stock balancer once it's been removed. imo you need to purchase a new stock one or a BHJ balancer.

Im lucky enough to have a good friend to help me do my head gaskets..Im also going to pay him as well.....He has done the SC as well as many newer vehicles...says "SC is a Btch but we will take care of it".....Im an old carb guy myself.......I figure Ill help him and learn myself the tricks for the first time with this motor with an experienced peep......

I have the head gaskets and Head bolts already(not great..Its the Felpro kit..Came with the car)....Figure Id change out the water pump as well......

? is.......What cam kit to get and I need it Tomorrow...J/K but real soon..

Is it easy enough to swap the cam lifters while the top end is apart and still in the car...Im thinking now is the best time....Ive searched here and will probably go with bigger springs...Maybe 510d area..Heads decked as well...Valves and guides checked....Car will be mostly street with some Watkins Glen open road course action.....No 1/4 action....Been there done that....This motor will be my current driver...A better motor built this coming winter...If the swap really isnt needed because the current is the stick 89 cam...Well I can just leave it in....Now is the time to ask though....

Just wondering

Thanks

F1

ARP studs for sure. Torque them down to 95 foot lbs. You will have to remove the radiator for the cam swap. The timing chain cover is a bitch to take off. It slides over long studs that over the years dam near get welded on to the timing cover. There is a small socket head bolt down by the oil pump, easy to miss. I would check out what Dave has for Cams in stock and he has in the past carried good valve springs. You can do some porting on the stock heads but wont get a big jump in flow untill you go to a bigger valve. Cam will wake the car up a lot.

Ken

Throw your head bolts in the garbage qnd invest in a set of 2.8 v6 chevy ARP head studs for 89.99 or so from summit.

I'd reccomend a spring upgrade even with a mild cam change even though for under .500 lift its claimed as not being needed.

Ill order the parts tonight...ARPz and the good gaskets...
Everyones ordering through Summit I take it...

Anybody know how I can get ahold of Sir Dalke...PM me if needed.....

Thanks

Gotcha Thanks......

Everything on Summit is not avalible now...All will ship on 3/28/08.....Not going to happen....I checked SCperformance...The kit they sell is the ARPz with the felpro gasket..Or just the rods...Ive got the gaskets already....My local advancedauto sells the rods for $150....Might just buy the rods there...

Thanks

Back