Any help with these codes, and engine miss at WOT

littleboylan

Alright, heres the deal...

Ive been having some WOT issues lately, as well as the check engine light continously showing up on decelleration.

Ive ran the codes, and came up with these, KOEO 114, and 116. I know these are the ACT out of range, and ECT out of range. I find it strange for both to go bad at once, but anythings possible.

Continous memory codes were 125 and 157. 125 being the TPS was lower than expected, and 157 is the MAF sensor dropped below .4 volts.

My plug wires are about 4 years old, maybe causing the miss at WOT, and Im at a loss for these other codes.

Any help?

Thanks Mike Boylan

Mike:

What year/type car are you working on, specifically...?

>ACT out of range, and ECT out of range.

Was the engine tested cold, perhaps.

>TPS was lower than expected, and 157 is the MAF sensor dropped below .4 volts.

Know how to check for .90~97 V at the TPS?

Ken

It's a 92 5-speed. The Key on Engine off test was done when I got home from work. Its about a 20 minute drive.

Ive set my tps numerous times, its usually around .93-.95.

The miss on the top end, acts like it did at the shootout of '06 on the Dyno.
At that time Dave D, said it was spark blowout. Since then Ive changed plugs and gapped them a little tighter. Solved the problem at the time, and now its come back. I doubt its spark blowout this time.

I'll get a set of plug wires, seeing how they could be changed anyways, and hope that takes care of the miss.

On the CEL, help is appreciated.

Thanks Mike

>Ive set my tps numerous times, its usually around .93-.95.

Can I ask what process you used and what prompted you at that time? I'd recheck it again now, since that code sounds valid.

>Since then Ive changed plugs and gapped them a little tighter.

I looked on my gap gauge and don't see that setting, sorry. :p What gap did you use, which plugs and how many miles since then?

What grade fuel have you been using?

As a start, besides reconfirming TPS calibration, I'd do a visual check of the MAF interior and a resistance check across the ECT sensor... value chart is here.

Ken

Well initially on my old throttlebody, I set the TPS by drilling out the one sleeve in the screw hole, and turning the sensor a little bit. On my Pro Products throttle body, the mounting point for the TPS actually has set screws and allows you to adjust it that way. Of course, testing the voltage with a meter.

I probably have about 10,000 miles on these plugs, they were Autolite 109's I believe, gapped somewere in the .032 - .035 range, if my memory serves me right.

I ALWAYS use 93 octane, if not 94 from some of the Sunoco stations.

The maf is a newer maf, and I have checked the element inside numerous times. Cleaning once a long time ago with some safe cleaner. The electronics on the maf are stock though, so were talking 16 years old.

Tomorrow, Ill get a resistance check on the ECT.

Thanks for the help so far, Mike

>probably have about 10,000 miles on these plugs, they were Autolite 109's I believe, gapped somewhere in the .032 - .035 range

Based on the info so far, I'd say you know what you're doing and should treat the codes and WOT stumble as separate issues for the time being.

I'd plan on replacing the plugs (and wires) unless you find a smoking gun that points elsewhere. I don't have a recommendation on plug replacements, not being familiar w/your mods, sorry. I like Magnecor wires.

If you continue chasing the stumble, I'd say check fuel pressures next.

Ken

Last edited:
Ken,

I got 3.26 ohms at 180* coolant temp. Sounds like its right on. Maybe the motor wasnt as warm as I thought it was when I ran the KOEO test.

I'll change my plugs and wires and see if this helps the issue any.

As far as fuel pressure, I have a gauge under the hood, and it idles at the proper pressure, although I have no way of seeing the pressure at WOT.

I have a new fuel filter laying around, its been about 30k since I changed that, maybe my 42# injectors cant keep up anymore.

Thanks for all the help.
Mike

Back