clutch master cylinder r&r

kpatton

Looking for a little wisdom here as I'm sure someone has been here before. I'm replacing my clutch master cylinder. The ford service manual goes into detail on removing the push rod and the lockout switch. Then it says to turn 1/4 and out. ( much lack of detail, similar to the one liner remove the dash then .. ) Due to the fact you can barely see this puppy. How does one get to it to in order to remove ? My thought is to loosen the fender wheel well like you do to get at the power antenna ? Or is there another trick to reaching up and removing ?

thanks
Keith

There are a couple bolts holding it to the firewall that need to come off. You'll need to drive a roll pin out of the hydraulic line to get it disconnected from the master cylinder. Once you get under the dash you'll figure it out.

There are a couple bolts holding it to the firewall that need to come off. You'll need to drive a roll pin out of the hydraulic line to get it disconnected from the master cylinder. Once you get under the dash you'll figure it out.

Where are these bolts? On mine, just grab the body on the inside with some pliers (you will see it coming through the cluthc pedal bracket), and turn 1/8 turn counter clockwise. Once the square portion is straight up and down, just push it into the engine compartment.
Don't forget the line with the roll pin at the end and the fill from the reservoir.
If you study the new master cylinder carefully before you start, it will be more apparent.

Nick

Yeah .. I always just use a plumbers wrench, twist it, push it through the firewall and punch the pin out .. really easy actually.

- Dan

Ok, but when re-installing as it is in a tight spot, how do you get it back in place? from the top, bottom, fender well ?

push rod

If the push rod has not been installed, then don't install it till after you get the master into the firewall. Once it clips in, it does not come out.
It's much easier to install with the push rod disconnected!

Cheers
Bob

Also, start the roll pin for the hard line BEFORE you have the master cylinder mounted.

Nick

Back