Looking at a SC, opinions needed

90blkbrd

I'm thinking about looking at a local Super Coupe. I have seen very few in Iowa. He's asking $2400. By the way, it has a Mach 1 hood.

Here is what I know:

From ad:

The vehicle you are viewing is a 1992 Thunderbird super coupe. It is a 5 speed manual transmission car. However, it will not go into gear. I am unsure if the problem is a result of a serious transmission problem or something that could be solved by bleeding the clutch, or replacement of the slave cylinder. The exterior of the car is in good condition with the exception of a small dent on the driver's-side quarter panel, and blemishes on the bumpers, etc, typical of a car its age. The interior is 100% immaculate down to the new car smell, blue tweed with vinyl trim. The driver's automatic seatbelt sticks, but in the back position. At 100k, the engine was rebuilt, to include all bearings, seals, gaskets, push rods; heads rebuilt, pressure tested and planed, and new head gaskets. Also, new belts, starter, and motor mounts. Other new parts include power steering rack, harmonic balancer, and battery. These cars are mostly 'Dealer-Only' parts, so this was a costly venture. "After market & performance" parts consist of an overdrive blower pulley, k&n air filter, fiberglass hood, and a spec stage III clutch, with approximately 1000 miles on it. It turns a lot of heads and I regret having to sell it.***As far as shipping, it is a pick-up only, but I have a connection with a local flatbed company and may be able to work something out if you're nearby. ***I AM ASKING $2400, BUT WOULD ACCEPT A REASONABLE OFFER, AND I HAVE PLENTY OF PICTURES OF THE INTERIOR, ETC I COULD E-MAIL OR SEND TO A MOBILE PHONE.

From email:

It will not shift into gear. The car has 108k miles, meaning 8k on the engine rebuild; etc project, approximately 1000 miles on the clutch, same goes for the harmonic balancer. The engine, heads, starter...cost me a touch over $2000, the clutch was $900 installed, the harmonic balancer was $980 installed, and the ps rack, which cost $700 installed. (love those super coupes) All the services were performed by a friend of mine who was a ford QC technician at quality ford. I DID NOT '2nd RATE' ANYTHING OR CUT CORNERS ON THIS CAR!

What would cause a 5-speed to not even shift into gear? Would it be a clutch problem?

I don't believe a non moving car is worth $2400, but what is it worth?

edit [Pictures are poor, and probably taken with a phone. The car is is white with blue interior. If the hood is in good shape would be instantly moved to my white SC. Did Ford use the same white in 1990 and 1992?]

Last edited:
Without seeing pics of the car, it's hard to say what the car is worth. What one person considers immaculate could mean only good condition to someone else. Of course the seller is going to think his car is immacualte. We all do. ;)

Seriously though, $2400 is WAY high for this car. you can find better cars that have been taken care of by SC enthusiasts here for less money in better condition. Sure, you may have to travel to pick one up, but at least you could drive the car home! In it's current condition, the car is a $500 car all day long, again, without seeing pics. If the car is indeed immaculate with no rust ANYWHERE, then it MAY be worth $750, but I wouldn't pay anything over that.
It's also kind of stupid if the seller has paid for a new clutch and it's not shifting now that he doesn't take it back to the shop that did the work and make them fix the issue, unless he did it himself. If he did and is not knowledgeable about the clutches and trannys in these cars, then you're probably looking at replacing the clutch again, at the very least and probably investing in tranny work before it's all said and done.
Personally, I'd pass on the car. It sounds like someone who didn't know what they were doing messed with it and now God only knows what's wrong with it.

Yeah, if you can't drive it to check it out, the car is essentially worth whatever a scrap price is unless you really know the history of it.

Certainly I question the work that was done on the car if the trans now won't shift. Most likely the slave cylinder or the master cylinder, or the hydraulic line connecting them has failed. But if it won't shift with the engine off and sitting there, could be the trans is shot. I wonder if the tailshaft housing is intact?

Back