TwEECer tuner

I've used the tweecer before and will tell you it's not easy. You are best to find someone to help get you started. There is a very steep learning curve, but it is a great tuner once you get the handg of it. I've heard people have had problems with interfearnce with power lines before, but none of the stories add up.

Edit: Shoot, sorry guys, I just kicked my hang over and realized this thread was about tweecer and not eec tuner. I'm sorry, please disregard.

Last edited:
Well I have seen tweecer's being used on the Mustang platforms before but did not realize that they supported the SC MN12's as well. Maybe try posting over at V6 Power or 3.8 Mustang to get some opinions.

they work fine on mn12 platforms. The issue is that the binary is not completly decoded as much as the software for SCTuner, or the EEC tuner.

Yes, tuning has a steep learning curve, but once you figure it out, you can do almost anything. IF you do get into it, do lots of reading....anything you can find online helps a lot, and DO NOT attempt to tune without a wideband AFR set-up.

While the Tweecer hardware is a good idea, and the RT version is great for the datalogging as well, the software is crap. The software is also very wrong on alot of parameters for our cars.

Alot of the Mustang guys that use the Tweecer now use a program called Binary Editor that works with the Tweecer directly. At this time BE has very good support for the 89/90 SC's, enough support for the 91-93 SC's to do a good tune and soon will have support for the 94/95's. More tuning values are being added almost on a daily bases.

The Tweecer RT is also pricey at over $500 unless you can get your hands on an used one. As mentioned you WILL need a wideband to do a good tune.

Frit,

What is the importance of the wideband? I am new to the tuning aspect of the SC.

The wideband O2 sensor measures your AFR usually between 10:1 to 20:1, so with that you can adjust things like your MAF transfer function to have your car run at the right AFR you need for best performance/driveability, and can quickly tell you if your running your motor in a dangerous situation.

The stock narrowband O2 sensors will only tell you if you have an AFR of 14.67 +- .2 or so. Do not believe anyone that will tell you that you can tune wide open throttle performance with a narrowband, because even though it says your rich, you can still be running an AFR of 13.7 which would be deadly for these cars.

If you want to get into tuning try a similar set-up to what I went with a few years ago. I went out and got a used EEC tuner board for cheap. While the software isn't user friendly, and the files are just in notepad format, it does the job. Shortly after I went out and got a software called SCTuner, from SCTuner.net. It's pretty much exactly the same as the Tweecer software and shows things in graphical or tabular form. It also allows you to copy, edit, and shift cells similar to Excel or any spreadsheet program. I believe I paid $50 for it, but it was worth the money.

To take care of my wideband issues I went out and bought a M-500 wideband/wireless data logger. This way i can always monitor my wideband via the digital display, as well as data-log any signal I want via a wireless transmission. I chose to data-log: MPH, RPM, AFR, TPS, MAF, and ACT. These are the best functions you can monitor to help you tune. By comparing your MAF voltage and your TPS voltage you can adjust your transfer fuctions EXACTLY where the AFR goes rich or lean. Here is the unit that I got a few years ago. They have now replaced it with a newer model but they all work the same. I like my unit better since it has a large display and I only need the laptop when I data logg at the track or dyno.

PLXLogger1.jpg

PLX3DLogger1.jpg

PLXDash3.jpg

PLX3DRender.jpg

M-500_UnitSoftwareBackground.jpg

Here's a video too.
http://www.plxdevices.com/M-Series-Controllers-Datalog/M400_500Promo.wmv

Link for SCTuner.net http://sctuner.net/

Fast/Frit,

Thanks. I already have one EEC Tuner V5.1 with EEC Tuner v5.3.

From what you are saying, I can use the SCT Tuner software to improve the form in which the info is presented as it is more user friendly with those exceptional displays you posted. Correct me if I am interpreting this wrong.

You are also saying that I need to purchase a wideband unit and I understand why thanks to the info you guys posted. How much is a M-500 wideband/wireless data logger and what is good source to purchase one? Thanks guys.

What was mentioned will not work in the 89/90 cars, anything newer and you should be ok.

There is also software out there now that works alot better and has alot more information than the old SCTuner software. This has nothing to do with the SCT software that people use, and I believe that is called SCT Advantage.

Also the later revisions of the EEC Tuner board supports datalogging.

Last edited:
The SCT advantage software is used with the SCT chip burning setup via Pro racer package or as a Dealer.

Its expensive and I dont think it can work for an EEC tuner type device.

Thast what I'm currently using and playing with. Need to hook up my LM1 so I can do some testing

Damon,

What type of chip is the SCT chip that you are using? Can you share some more details?

From what you are saying, I can use the SCT Tuner software to improve the form in which the info is presented as it is more user friendly with those exceptional displays you posted. Correct me if I am interpreting this wrong.
You are incorrect. Those graphs are from the PLX datalogging software. The SC Tuner software is primarily a numbers based spreadsheet with some graphical viewing but for the most part the graphics are useless. In tuning you will use scalers (specific numbers), functions (a=xb), and tables (x-y). This is standard regardless of what tuning software you use because the EEC only processes data in one manner and this can't be changed.

You are also saying that I need to purchase a wideband unit and I understand why thanks to the info you guys posted. How much is a M-500 wideband/wireless data logger and what is good source to purchase one? Thanks guys.
Dataloggers run anywhere from about $250-$500+. You can find the unit talked about above at www.plxdevices.com. Be sure you know what you are getting before you spend your money. A lot of SC people also use the products available at www.innovatemotorsports.com. I find their products a little easier to use and a little less expensive but ultimately either will work well and are worth the investment.

Last edited:
Yes, as others have stated the SCTuner software and the SCT software are totally different. I should have clarified. The SCT software is more expensive but you can do more with it. The binary is decoded better and there are more parameters that you can change. As Dave said, the SCTuner software is rather old, and works off a spreadsheet format. You can download a trial version on SCTuner.net. This software WILL work with the EEC tuner. As some of the grpahs are useless, I find the interface much much better than using a text based format, and some of the 2D graphs help such as the MAF transfer function.

Again, as Dave stated, all software works off of the same parameters, (tables, scalars, and functions). When I orginially bought my tuner, the SCT package was fairly new and expensive so I stuck with the EEC tuner. For most people, you can get a great tune with using the EEC Tuner and any software that applies.

What I change the most is my transfer function to match my fuel tables. This way, when I command a 12.2 ratio, I better see a 12.2 ratio on my wideband, and if not, then I modify my MAF functions at certain voltages until I get what I'm commanding at a given load value. Keep in mind that this only lets you see the upper end of your MAF curve, somewhere around 2.8-4.8 volts.

When I tuner the lower half of my curve, I turn off adaptive control, drive the car around and log my AFR under light loads and idle. Adaptive control is basically the closed loop function that adjusts fuel, spark, ect by feedback from the stock O2 sensors. You could be running around 20% rich/lean, and the car would adjust for that and still show a 14.6 ratio during idle, or light loads. Turning it off basically lets you see how the car is running without adjustment paremeters. I turn it off, and set both of my fuel tables to 14.6 under all load conditions. This is to assure me that I am always commanding 14.6 regardless of loading conditions just for the purpose of tuning.

There is a lot to tuning as I'm sure you're aware of, and the only way to get good as it, is to read read read everything you can off of the net. It took me a good 3 months until I knew how to do a basic tune with and understanding of all the functions. After a good 4+ years now, I can tune most fords with either the EEC or Tweecer in an afternoon with great results. I must stress this point however. DO NOT change any other parameter until you get your MAF curve perfect. Don't start changing spark vaules or fuel trims until you get your curve at a point that when you command a fuel ratio, you should be getting that fuel ratio.

I got my PLX for $500 at the time. Which was a good price considering you have a logger and a wideband until. I believe they now sell a R-500 unit for $580 now. A lot of people go with the Inovative Unit, and while it's nice, I like the functionallity of the PLX until. Again, at the time when I got mine, they only had the LM-1, which was a huge hand-held unit that needed power inputs and had limited functions and expensive harnesses to you needed to buy in order to data log. I wanted a permanent mount, with datalogging and PLX was the best option at the time. I'm sure Inovative has much better stuff out there now. Shop around and see what you can find.

Last edited:
Back