Dying idle 92 SC

Darth

I just replaced the PS pump (what a miserable job) which required the removal of the SC to intercooler manifolds. When I put everything back together the manual said that I should use some special Ford super teflon sealer on the connections. The Ford dealer said they had no such thing and suggested Permatex which I didn't think would be a good thing, so I just bolted everything back together again being very careful not to damage the existing sealing white stuff.

Now, the car runs great while driving, but when idling for a minute or so, it then slows way down and quits. It starts up easy, but after a couple of minutes will die again. Could this be caused by an air leak in the intercooler manifolds?

I just replaced the PS pump (what a miserable job) which required the removal of the SC to intercooler manifolds. When I put everything back together the manual said that I should use some special Ford super teflon sealer on the connections. The Ford dealer said they had no such thing and suggested Permatex which I didn't think would be a good thing, so I just bolted everything back together again being very careful not to damage the existing sealing white stuff.

Now, the car runs great while driving, but when idling for a minute or so, it then slows way down and quits. It starts up easy, but after a couple of minutes will die again. Could this be caused by an air leak in the intercooler manifolds?

Yes...a small leak in the IC tubes will cause it. Someone here sells reusable teflon gaskets, but I like Permatex high temp copper RTV (orange).

To confirm that connections are leaking spray IC tube connections with carb cleaner while motor is running.

David

I also use the permatex rtv.. I've used black rtv, and the copper rtv in the past, they all work well. The black seems to be the easiest to clean off when you take them apart.

Jeramie

i like black rvt too but i just ordered the teflon set off ebay. to get the top off after it has been rvt down is a pain in the ***.

Back