Trunk Leak

Young-SC-Owner

Ok fellas,
I cant find where in the HE** my trunk is leaking from!!:mad:
My Spare tire well is constantly WET and it whizzes me off
ive checked the seal and it seems to seal well so where in the heck could it be leaking!!!!!!!!

Flipin a:rolleyes:

Tony

Might want to check with Matt, 35thauto. He just fixed a trunk leak on one of his SC's.

Look at where the metal seams meet around the rubber trunk seal .. could be leaking there.

- Dan

Put one of your friends into the trunk with a flash light .Then take a water and wet the car . If someone has changed a tail light it might be leaking around one of them. Good luck!

Crawl into the trunk with a flashlight, and have a buddy direct a moderate stream of water around the rear window area, deck seal, underbody, wheel wells, fuel door, tail lamps, etc. Of course, you'll need to gut the trunk first (liner, spare, etc.). You'll find it.

JD

PS: Make sure you don't have the keys in your pocket when you shut the lid on yourself.

Simple, pull everything out of the trunk, fold down the rear seat or get in the trunk and have someone with a garden/fire hose on low start in one corner and work their way around the rear portion of the car. Its prob a body seam or one of the tail lights or rear panel. I doubt its the trunk seal. It could even be a rust through around the back glass. Are there any antenna or maybe a rear mount revolving light drilled through the trunk????????????????
Stop by O'Reilly's and get a can of stop leak.

You might be missing a rubber plug in the spare wheel well, which will allow water to enter when the car is driven on a wet road.

I realize this thread is over a year old.
But I just took care of a trunk leak on my red 89 XR7.
So after the next rain, the trunk should be dry.
The leaks occure at the rear window lower corners and the upper trunk trough corners.
You must remove all old chaulk / sealer to make a proper repair.
See photos for reference and both sides are the same.
100_5545.jpg

100_5547.jpg

100_5540.jpg

100_5556.jpg

Notice the two holes with light.
100_5559.jpg

Last edited:
Back