Spindles discolored. Heat damage?

Jeremy_K

I changed the wheel bearing assemblies today on the front wheels. I have some pretty rapid treadwear on the insides of both my front tires. I also noticed that the spindles had some bluing towards where the inner bearing race rides. I'd imagine this is from them getting heated up. The spindles have no scoring or gouges and the old bearings weren't catastrophically failing. I'm running a 255/45/17 tire and I was just wondering if that could be part of my problem. I had an alignment the last time I got tires. Could these symptoms be from some other suspension parts wearing or should I just get another alignment? I just don't want to destroy the new bearings if something is still wrong.

were the bearings failing significantly when you replaced them? The color change, if really in the metal and not on the metal, would indicate significant heat. I would consider keeping your eyes open for replacement front spindles depending on how hard you drive the car.

Heating the spindle like that will weaken it, though how much I can't guess.

If you cr is lowered then welcome to the club. Most who have lowered their cars suffer from accelerated front tire wear on the inner edge of the tires.

The early model spidles were forged. The later version (93 and up) are cast pieces. Not to say that bluing is a good thing, but less likely to be a concern with the later spindles given they are cast.

Got any pics so we can see how extensive the coloring is and where it is located?

The bluing seems to be on or near the surface and it doesn't go all the way around. it was only discolored on the inner (closest to engine) side of where the bearings ride. When jacked up, the tire would move up and down maybe 1/4" just enough to know it had bad bearings. Sorry no pics. I didn't think to take any while I had it off. I drove it 45 miles on the way home from work (mostly highway) today and it rode a lot better. No more vibrations or groaning. My car is lowered 1.5" but I've never seen tire wear like this on it til I put the 17s on. They wore down really quick.

Last edited:
Back