Calibrating TEMP and OIL Gauge, Fuel Gauge.

ricardoa1

Has anyone done calibrations on these gauges after removing the needles. :confused:
Is ther a way to connect the a battery to one of the gauges and that will land on a certain spot for calibration. Or any high tech way of calibration.

Fuel is easy just fill up the gas tank and place in F.
But how about the other needles. :confused:

I am intrested in that as well since I installed white faces on the tach, speedometer & fuel gauge. I assume you calibrated the boost gauge by wrapping it around the peg at 23 lbs of boost:eek::D:D But would be intrested in the other gauges;)

Ken

I actually somehow got my fuel gauge calibrated to show full when full then drop down as normal to half, then go to full again :eek: without having to go to the gas station.

Once I figure that out I'll let you know ;) :p

I just did faces in my car. The faces I installed actually show numbers for the coolant temp and oil pressure. I drove the car with the face on but the plastic cover off and adjusted to where I wanted them after I was up to a known operating temperature. You cannot just move the needles, you have to physically take them out and re-place them where you want them. For instance, 180 degrees is about 1/3 of the way up on my coolant gauge now. With the stock faces my needle was only 1/4 of the way up at operating temp in the cold weather. This is why people see different readouts for temps on different birds and get worried. Just gauge calibration difference a lot of times.

The main thing is to remember or take a picture of where the gauges typically read or set them where you want.
Chris

Last edited:
this is how you calibrate the gauges.

boost... set the needle at 0 with the engine off
fuel... fill up the tank and set to end of F
temp.... get car up to normal operating temperature and set to O in NORM
(assuming your temp stays still regularly)
rpm... set to 0 with the key on engine off
speedo... set to 0 with they key on engine off

-non sc clusters-

voltage... set at 14 with engine idling, or use volt meter at battery terminal
for exact voltage and set to that with engine off key on

Back