Help Please! Car sputters and dies!

Loaded87IROCZ

My car is a 90 SC 5 speed with 130k on it. Recently it has been low on power and will sometimes die after stopping (like at a stop sign) It will only start back up with the gas to the floor and will run really bad. Pulled codes and came up with 54 and 88. From searching, the 54 is an ACT code and the 88 is a cooling fan code. I changed the ACT and ECT and the CEL is now on all the time (was only on sometimes before) but the codes are still the same. I checked the crank pulley for wobble and saw none and the balancer bolt is still in place. I have replaced the cam sensor, coil pack, plugs and wires in the last year(only about 3k miles.) I normaly wouldnt be in such a hurry, but this car is now my daily driver while my wife is at tech school here in TX and my garage and most of my tools are back in KS. Anything else i should check out before giving in and taking it somewhere? Thanks alot!

Ed

Just a shot in the dark man, but do you still have oil pressure? Does the car run hot? Any weird smells? Just symptoms of what my car was doing only hours before the head gaskets went...but it could be as simple as a bad/clogged fuel filter, bad plugs or wires or possibly a vacuum leak. Start with the easiest and cheapest and work your way through.

Back