FMIC Q's(pics)

neverfastenough

I started on my FMIC project today and I'm alittle short on room. In the second pic you'll see a little plastic waffle looking thing...can I remove that...does it serve any purpose? Im pretty sure I have the IC up enough to clear the bottom of the bumpercover but Id like to get that extra 2in by removing those thingys. Any suggestions welcome, Excuse my poor fabrication skills:eek:

FMIC003.jpg

FMIC004-1.jpg

Last edited:
Those parts are designed to support the facia if the car requires towing. This is where the tow straps would ride if the car were attached to a tow truck with straps. As long as you remember they're missing if the car needs to be towed, you'll be okay. Remember to use only a roll-back in case you need to be "rescued".

JD

Thanks JD I didnt have a clue what they were for since nothing was connected to them...I knew ford woulda put them on there for some reason....They will come off tommorow :)

>you'll see a little plastic waffle looking thing...can I remove that...does it serve any purpose?

I believe those are part of the front end collision protection elements - aka crumple zone.

You might ask is your physical well-being worth not having those types of things in the event of a crash involving the destruction of the entire front clip, but hey, you've got a nice shiny expensive aluminum crumple-cake in there now, which has to be an upgrade when it comes to absorbing the back end of a minivan, so continue on :)

Ken

>you'll see a little plastic waffle looking thing...can I remove that...does it serve any purpose?

I believe those are part of the front end collision protection elements - aka crumple zone.

You might ask is your physical well-being worth not having those types of things in the event of a crash involving the destruction of the entire front clip, but hey, you've got a nice shiny expensive aluminum crumple-cake in there now, which has to be an upgrade when it comes to absorbing the back end of a minivan, so continue on :)

Ken

I dont plan on removing the front bumper if thats what you thought I ment, just the two little tow strap protecting ones at the inlet/outlets of the IC
shown in the second pic.

I dont plan on removing the front bumper if thats what you thought I ment,

noooo...just making a joke about trading up from plastic to aluminum in that particular spot on the car...not cheap aluminum either, I'm sure.

Looks good - reminds me of the some of the conversions we used to do on XR4Ti`s.

It looks pretty low. But here is a pix of my set up. I have my IC fliped with my intake tubes on top.

wj6yjq.jpg

It was too big for me to fit in with the tubes on top, How big of an IC did you use, Mine is 31X12X3.....Ill try again when I get home to see if it can be mounted the other way.

Back