when is a intercooler to big

nwnsc

at what point is the IC size too big? diesal truck IC over kill or the way to get coldest air possable? i mean mack truck size IC

>...at what point is the IC size too big?

When the pressure drop across the intercooler isn't kept to less than 1.0 ~ 1.5 psi (think about how long it takes to fill it and how long it takes to empty).

Try this link for a bit of information concerning intercoolers in general:

http://www.bellintercoolers.com/pages/techFAQ.html

As far as size goes, the IC should be matched so that the flow is something the rest of the system needs (at the least) and can handle (at the most). An IC in theory can be too big just like it can be too small. You also want to determine the inlet and outlet sizes accordingly. And of course you need to have a proper location. Run the biggest you can fit...which won't be off a Mack :)

Last edited:
actually pressure drop is not a big concern with our M90 application. our blowers are mere air pumps and pressure drop over an IC doesnt affect it like it would a turbo. the extreme heat made by the M90 is what u should focus on. the more surface area the IC has the more the hot air can be cooled.

i say, go as big as u can fit in there....

thanks guys looking for the bigest thing that will fit. found one that whould take up the core support opening an run a lx rad. behind it. just wondering if it was to much. it has .5 psi drop and is very large, i need more coooling i have 95 blower running 10% and heat is a issue with stock ic in AZ heat

Be prepared for your car to run hot with that big of an IC. That is way overkill for your application. You'd be much better off with a well built double IC, IC fan, short AC condenser, and MP airdam under the front of the car.

Be prepared for your car to run hot with that big of an IC. That is way overkill for your application. You'd be much better off with a well built double IC, IC fan, short AC condenser, and MP airdam under the front of the car.

yup, as usual, dave caught it.

i forgot to ask if u were still gonna run ur A/C ? and wut blower and OD u were running.... i cant believe u were running 10% on a late model with just a stock IC. what boost levels were u seeing ?

i guess the real ? is what blower are u ultimately planning on running ? that would determine wut size IC u should use.

i thought it might be over kill but sounded good . probly go with ebay fmic and some fans . got an 85 ranger ac conderser comeing (same as stock just shorter)

Back