Did All '94 SCs Have Variable Assist Power Steering?

edspringer

I think my PS pump is getting ready to give up the ghost and the VAS is a question I need answered before I order the pump. The pump is not making any wierd noises normally associated with a failing PS pump. It seems to be getting harder to steer especially when not moving. However, there is no binding in the rack & pinion that would indicate it is the problem. Any suggestions?

Ed

My '94 steering was hard and I found out I had a lower ball just about frozen stiff, replace it and the steering was easy.

Yes, all of the 89 - 95 SC were equipped with the variable assist steering. You should be able to see the valve on the side of the pump, where the pressure line goes in.

cheers
Ed N.

Yes, all of the 89 - 95 SC were equipped with the variable assist steering. You should be able to see the valve on the side of the pump, where the pressure line goes in.

cheers
Ed N.

This was strange for me to see this valve yesterday....How strong are these pumps......Mine did not appear to be leaking but I was suprised to see how the valve ends were able to swivel around...My experiences with high pressure lines these things should be leaking....Anyways the one in my SC should have..

Concerning the variable-rate power steering....my 92' Sport behaves a bit oddly on freeway cornering at 55 mph or faster,, it's almost impossible to keep the steering wheel straight, like the valve is switching on and off...any thoughts?

Back