anybody know how??

BrentSC

hey guys i gotta lower ball joint on my SC that has unlubricated itself somehow. when i turn the wheel its a dry squeeking noise comming right from the ball joint. the thing is, is that its still good i think the greese just got out. is there a way to lubricate the ball joint temporarly?? or even a way to greese it for good. thanks

brent

You could drill a hole in the bottom for a greese fitting. They are self tapping if you get the hole the right size. This might just work. Other than that you could oil it if its a bottom one.

You could drill a hole in the bottom for a greese fitting. They are self tapping if you get the hole the right size. This might just work. Other than that you could oil it if its a bottom one.

theres a rubber boot thats ontop of that little arm type thing that the ball joint is connected to. do you think if i put a little hole in the boot and squirted some greese in there it would work??

The ball joints (assuming you are talking original ones) are teflon lined and do not need lubrication. If you have noise then the ball joint lining is shot and it should be replaced.

Agree. Non serviceable ball joints shouldn't be forced into service. If they squeek, they are done.

Take it from a guy who blew his out while driving the car. You are better off replacing the ball joint than trying to greese it. Sure it costs a bit more, and may take about an hours time over re-greeseing, but you won't end up stranded like I was.

228747.jpg

Before you start hollerin about jack stands, they were under there immediately after the picture. I'd just bought a ball joint knowing it was shot. Drove up to the curb and as I was backing into the driveway, WHAM!

The other side blew while I was leaving NAPA, again with ball joint in hand.

Back