What's broken now? Converter?

JasonMiller94SC

Ok so I'm had this clatter comming from the car for a little while now. I took the car to Jay's house and thought maybe the torque converter bolts were loose. We put brand new ones one and it seemed to fix the problem. A day later it was back. Today I got under it and checked the bolts and even put some lock tight on them. No good still making noise.

I layed under the car while it was running and the noise seems loudest under the bell housing of the tranny but I can't rule out it coming from the oil pan. Seems a bit louder under the belling housing. The tapping noise is loudest at idle and does not get louder when you speed up the motor.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe I've damaged this torque converter.

I shot a quick cell phone video while under the motor. You can't see much but you can hear the noise.

http://chapters.tccoa.com/va/misc/clatter.3g2

Other than this noise the car seems to run fine and shows not loss of power or tranny slipping.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm wondering if the stock Mark VIII converter that's in threre is maybe toast.

Have you checked the bolts that hold the flexplate to the crank. I've had those loosen up on me before and they basically did the same thing. You'll probably want to replace the flexplate and the bolts if this is your problem. The problem is it's hard to tell if this is your problem without pulling the trans and converter.

You know, I had a clatter on my '95 4.6 that I thought for sure was loose TC nuts. It really, really sounded like it was coming from the bellhousing. I tried to resolve the problem for months. Finally, one day I was under the car and I hit my catalytic converter with my fist and it rattled. It turns out the inside of the cat was bad and was rattling around.
I am not saying this is your problem but at least check it out.

Have you checked the bolts that hold the flexplate to the crank. I've had those loosen up on me before and they basically did the same thing. You'll probably want to replace the flexplate and the bolts if this is your problem. The problem is it's hard to tell if this is your problem without pulling the trans and converter.

I put new bolts in the flex plate when I put it in a couple of years ago. Not saying that this might not be the problem. You're right, they are a pain to check.

You know, I had a clatter on my '95 4.6 that I thought for sure was loose TC nuts. It really, really sounded like it was coming from the bellhousing. I tried to resolve the problem for months. Finally, one day I was under the car and I hit my catalytic converter with my fist and it rattled. It turns out the inside of the cat was bad and was rattling around.
I am not saying this is your problem but at least check it out.

I thought of this as well. I banged on both cats while I was under there today and nothing. It's defantly loudest when I put my ear up to the bell housing.

Jason I'm off this weekend if you want you can bring it buy and we can unbolt the t/c and start it up to see if the noise goes away.If it does we know it's trans related.

Jay

Jay,

Maybe we can make some plans. We can't just unbolt the converter without unbolting the transmission anyhow. How about this.

Chris says he still has his Mark VIII converter. He can bring it up. I can buy a new flexplate and we can pull it apart. If we find the plate is cracked we can just put a new one on. If the plate looks ok we can put the other converter in.

One way or another the tranny is gonna need to come loose to find the cause of this.

Sounds like a plan like I said I'm off all weekend.So just give me a shout and we can try to set something up.

Jay

Back