Rear diff bushing counter weight, do we need that part?

ricardoa1

Doing my rear diff bushings. I am doing the bolt mo. Do we need that thing that bolts on to the rear diff cover. It looks like a counter weight for wheel hop.

Doing my rear diff bushings. I am doing the bolt mo. Do we need that thing that bolts on to the rear diff cover. It looks like a counter weight for wheel hop.

You mean this thing that's circled ? If so..yes you need it.

reardiffmount.jpg

David

Thats the bushing I am talking about the piece that is next to it looks like a weight that dangles. It is within the circle.

This piece, I took it off. I dont think I need it now that I solidified my bushings. Weighs a little too much :D

Attachments

• Springs 063.jpg
    Springs 063.jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 118
This piece, I took it off. I dont think I need it now that I solidified my bushings. Weighs a little too much :D

Heatsink - sits down in the airflow. Pretty clever, actually.

Discard at your own peril - I mean at the diff's peril ;)

>whe does it need to wight so much

Volumetric efficiency. Diff coolers are common. From static to fluid, etc. This is simply an inexpensive solution.

>why only manual cars?

Different ratios

I would think that if a diff is now running an aftermarket cover that supposedly includes improved heat sink/shed-ability over factory parts, then it would might sense to consider removing factory parts.

In any case, casually discarding parts can be a hard-earned lesson, as opposed to...well...not.

...if an owner wants all the heat-dissipation they can get, use both :)

Last edited:
I've only seen those on every Mark VIII at the pull-a-part. Never seen them on a T-bird/Cougar. I was told thought they were for some kind of harmonic dampening? :confused:

I've seen similar (usually larger) ones on other Ford products. I'm 99% sure its a vibration damper. Over the years I've seen a few such weights hanging from exhaust systems, too.

Not sure about Ford's rationale on which got 'em and which didn't

Cheers
DD

Now that I think of it my diff was from a Mark VIII. I did not have this on my SC when new. Maybe its a vibration thing afterall, for the marks luxury feel. Oh well, anyone wants a thingymabob that weight about a pound and cools down the differential. I dont want it on my car anymore. :D

Do you have a solid mount to the body/subframe or just to the subframe to the case? And how did you solid mount the front? I assume you used a set of MM solids and a solid rear mount from the cover?

Chris

Back