upshift light question...

1990XR7SC

Now i have seen on a few posts people asking about the upshift light. Mine stays on when you crank it and have the key on. What does this mean? Is there another way to tell if that is connected to the crank sensor in some way? and if this doesn't belong here anyone can move it to where it belongs thanks!

The upshift light comes on for the crank sensor. The crank sensor is right next to the balancer on the passengers side. If the crank sensor has failed you will not have spark. I just replaced my crank sensor last week and it wasn't too bad of a job. I think if the cam sensor were bad it would still run, but the crank sensor would explain why your not getting spark(and the upshift light)

Last edited:
1990XR7SC,

Might want to take a close look at the balancer to see if it's loose or wobbling and if the main bolt for retaining it to the crankshaft is still there...when the balancer fails they either loose contact with the crank sensor or trash it. But sometimes the sensor just fails.

David

Last edited:
well i got her running after replacing the crank sensor but... when on the test drive well before i had no reverse also the car hadent run for 3 mounths before but then on the test drive she drove good but after turning around the tranny would act like it was downshifting then upshifting over and over again. Then it happened. The belt to the blower from the jack shaft just basically blew apart. Now she doesn't run again. But im curiouse on why it was surging like that and also how it blew the blower belt and now not running. I guess i get to dive into it deeper tomorrow. But im new to these engines and cars (mn12 line) And any input would help me out greatly.

well i could do that and have alot of fun driving her. Or suck it up and drive without reverse. But today i found that when the blower belt let loose it wedged itself in the crank pully and took out the crank sensor i just put in! so i repaired my old one checked it made sure it works properly. now i just have to put it on the car. and get back to lisining to that blower kick in:D and yes its a sweet sound! Im still curiouse on why i don't have reverse.

make sure your shifter linkage is not funked. My guess is that its out of alignment and may be the cause of the constant up and down shifts given that you don't have reverse. If you had reverse, then I would start looking at the throttle valve linkage adjustment at the throttle body, dialing it back in.

Do a simple test. Park on level ground and put the car in park. Get someone to push on the car and try to roll it. If it goes no where, you've established a base mark: Parking engaugement works. It may take some extra effort as this may be the lock up for reverse, so perhaps two people pushing the car backwards is necessary. Regardless, be ready to punch the brakes if it starts to roll so you don't hit anything while "ghost riding the whip."

If it rolls than your linkage needs adjusted. If it doesn't, then move on.

From park, depress the shifter button and slowly draw the shifter back. You may feel the car go into reverse but not be against the gates of the shifter. This is not a cure, it again means that your linkage is out of adjustment.

I don't own one of these cars, however I've screwed with my own AOD problems before. I'm not sure what type of indicator is in these birds, so take this with a grain of salt. If they are an indicator that has a bar that swings under a piece of clear plastic (not just dummy lights on the council next to the shifter), and for any reason it does not show that you are in park when the shifter is all the way foreward, or that you are in first when the shifter is all the way back, or sit square under the R,N,D,2,1 when engauged, consider your linkage out of adjustment.

Test and address.

Back