Oh just shoot me!

Pokey

So I busted out my service manual and EVTM today and started monkeying with the ABS system on my '90. Both ABS and Brake light on constantly, no power assist to the brakes, Pump not running.
So I start the troubleshooting and I get as far as the first test where you disconnect the pump power, start pulling on the harness to disconnect it so I can check the voltage to the pump.... then I hear this nice little noise start buzzing. The pump had kicked on. So I started wiggling the wires again to see if I could make the pump kick off, couldn't do it. So I topped it off with more fluid, pumped the pedal a few times to try to refill the system.
So aside from needing a new accumulator, my brakes work again by wiggling a wire. Arrrgh!

When I was in Germany the heater in my LX would either not work at all or just come on sporadically. So as I was about to pull the entire heater blower motor out, I touched the wires on bottom of the motor while the car happened to be running and it started working, so for like a week while driving 90 on the audobahn with ice and snow everywhere when i didn't have heat I'd reach over and jiggle those wires until it would kick on....I did that until I could take the time to fix it....good stuff though man, at least you're not out a whole lotta time, money, and effort. It does leave you scratching your head though.

Meh its still got issues, even though the pump cycles and shuts off at pressure, the brakes are still screwy. Virtually nothing until almost bottom, then the pedal gets hard as hell. Hopefully an accumulator issue, but prior's doesn't have any in stock.. doodoo.

Are the amber and red lights lit up on the dash?

Yeah they are on when the car is started, take about 10 seconds to go out. Hit the brake once and they come back on and the motor kicks on again.

One note on the motor harness. There is a pigtail that connects physically to the motor. That pigtail then comes up around and the electrical and control harness plugs into that. So there are 3 possible places for poor quality connections.

Note that on a motor on mine put power to it, nothing. Put power to it a second time and it will spin. Put power to it again and it won't spin.

Got the electric motor rebuilt for $160. New armature and re-wound plus custom brushes. Been bullet proof since the repair. (new accumulator as well at the same time)

Thanks Mike! That is very good to know.
I read some of the other comments you made about this brake system in the members section, very good info in that thread started by Gerry. I think I will bleed the brakes and see if I can get some ABS codes read before I fight with this monster anymore.
Thanks!

Glenn C

All the brake problems I had on my 91 went away with a simple change of the brake relay under the hood.

One of mine started doing that and it usually showed up if I let the car sit for a week but then it got worse. I took a long steel rod and poked the brown power relay. The system powered up so I replaced it and so far it's been fine.

Back