Cold Air Intake

Douglas Walker

Has there been any evidence found that, having a bend before the MAF has any negative effect to the maf reading. Ive heard that it does and it doesnt.
If a bend before the maf does cause issues, what would be a good length of straight to have before the maf.

Thanks
Doug

Has there been any evidence found that, having a bend before the MAF has any negative effect to the maf reading. Ive heard that it does and it doesnt.
If a bend before the maf does cause issues, what would be a good length of straight to have before the maf.

Thanks
Doug

In airflow dynamics the more straight pipe you have before the MAF the more accurate the air flow measurement. The basic rule of thumb is to have 3 times the diamenter of pipe before the MAF. This gives the air time to straighten out before reaching the MAF. For example, on my '94 I have approximately 1 foot of 3" exhaust pipe from my TB to the outlet of a 76mm C&L MAF, then the MAF with a 9" K&N cone filter directly attached to the MAF inlet. By the rule of thumb I should have 9" of straight pipe between the K&N and the MAF inlet. But I don't, however, my current cold air setup is more efficient then the stock air box where the airflow makes a 90° turn almost in front of the MAF causing turbulence. Why we don't have issues with the stock air box is the MAF is not that accurate. One of these days when I absolutely nothing else to do I'm going to modify my cold air setup and add 9" of straight pipe between the MAF inlet and K&N just to see what happens. I doubt I will see any noticeable difference but inquiring minds want to know.

Ed

Is the placement of the MAF critical? I mean, if a person wanted to experiment with air intake plumbing, could the MAF be moved closer to the throttle body?

Just wonderng...

DD

Back