Best choice for a cone filter?

kenewagner

Whats everyone running for for a cone filter? I have, after receiving good advice, decided to ditch the stock box & K&N panel filter and go to a cone filter. I was looking in Summit and dont see a lot of choices. What does everyone here recommend. It needs to support around 400 HP

Ken

Ken buy the Summit brand 9inch filter.Its made by k&n and it's cheaper than buying one advertised as a k&n.I ordered one and when I received it it was in a k&n bag and had k&n stamped on the end of the cone you just didn't get a k&n box with it but who cares as you get it cheaper and it's the same filter.

Jay

> just didn't get a k&n box

= blackmarket

...made by some Knucklehead in Nanjing.

Ken

The 9" is a tad long but will fit.
In the picture below the nose of the filter is up against the radiator cross support. I suppose I could pull it back a little if the tube assembly was shorter but it works. I'm going to have to get creative for an air divider.

It's about 4.5" wide at the base, can't recall the part number, probably have it in my file somewhere. You could go with a wider filter that is shorter and have the same surface area. I wanted a narrow base to allow some room for the snow system tank.
This is the one I have, though I got it from a local supplier where I got the intake pieces from.
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...744162+4294791583+4294790256+115&autoview=sku

IMGA0417.jpg

Last edited:
I think your wrong

Would you like to buy a $15,000.00 Rolex Daytona, then? Say for less than what it costs for a set of used heads. Even the local Rolex dealer can't tell the difference :)

You would be amazed at how many grey/black market products are in your possession right now. Legitimate looking stickers, data sheets etc. are no issue as well.

You think they pay workers to strip off the boxes and then recycle them to save on shipping? That would violate a handful of federal statutes.

Summit would be an exception when it comes to stateside retailers if they didn't work as a pipeline for this kind of 'marketing'. How do you think they keep prices so low.

Last edited:
This thread has pictures of the monster air filter that I'm running. I can't remember the details of who makes it or where I bought it, but I bought on the recommendation of XR7 Dave....I'm sure he will remember the source. I'll keep searching my links.

The 9" is a tad long but will fit.
In the picture below the nose of the filter is up against the radiator cross support. I suppose I could pull it back a little if the tube assembly was shorter but it works. I'm going to have to get creative for an air divider.

It's about 4.5" wide at the base, can't recall the part number, probably have it in my file somewhere. You could go with a wider filter that is shorter and have the same surface area. I wanted a narrow base to allow some room for the snow system tank.
This is the one I have, though I got it from a local supplier where I got the intake pieces from.
http://store.summitracing.com/partd...744162+4294791583+4294790256+115&autoview=sku

IMGA0417.jpg

Mike, that link comes up as a 3" outlet to the MAF-isn't the MAF inlet 3.5"?

Nick

Ken,

I'm using a 7" S&B cone with the inverted cone on the end. Bill Evanoff special ordered it for me. Fits the MP cold air box much better than the K&N 9" I was using.

David

Ken,

I'm using a 7" S&B cone with the inverted cone on the end. Bill Evanoff special ordered it for me. Fits the MP cold air box much better than the K&N 9" I was using.

David

I like the inverted cone on the end. seems like it would flow a little better than the same size without. I read a lot of threads that seemed to indicate that there should be a length of straight tubeing before the MAF so there is no turbulence to mess with the MAF. I see a lot of guys like yourself put the filter directly on to the MAF. In your opinion does it makes any diffrence

Ken

I like the inverted cone on the end. seems like it would flow a little better than the same size without. I read a lot of threads that seemed to indicate that there should be a length of straight tubeing before the MAF so there is no turbulence to mess with the MAF. I see a lot of guys like yourself put the filter directly on to the MAF. In your opinion does it makes any diffrence

Ken

Ken,

No negative impact on the MAF readings that I'm aware of. It probably helped that it was already on the car before re-tuning it after the AR blower install.

neibert1.jpg

David

I bought a large cone filter at Pep Boys made by power addder. It is ricer blue and has the inverted cone in the end. I haven't had any problems with dirt getting into the intake tract or TB at all. I cleaned and re-oiled it with K&N recharge kit so now it's purple. Mine is down in the fenderwell with the MAFS connected to it. I think it was about $50.

I bought a large cone filter at Pep Boys made by power addder. It is ricer blue and has the inverted cone in the end. I haven't had any problems with dirt getting into the intake tract or TB at all. I cleaned and re-oiled it with K&N recharge kit so now it's purple. Mine is down in the fenderwell with the MAFS connected to it. I think it was about $50.

Haha, I have a silver one. It was only like $20 though. :confused:

Ken,

Are you planning on just a filter or are you going all out and switching from 3" to 3.5"?

For now I am leaving the TB and MAF alone. Just going with the cone filter. I have had to many people say the K&N filter in a stock box doesnt flow enough for my blower combination. I am looking at the biggest cone filter I can stick on:D

Ken

I went on the K&N website and ended up ordering one of the tons of filters they offer, I ended up with a 9" filter with 3" opening and a 10 or 15 degree angle on the inlet side so it would fit under my hood with no problems. Tight fit, but she's in there.

Ken, this is the one Im using..got it from Bill at scp, its 9in..some off brand. I have no complaints. Heres a pic of it...and the sneak peak of the fmic Im doing:eek:

fmic007.jpg

fmic010.jpg

Back